Now that the CES 2016 fever has subsided it’s time to move on. However, I just noticed that a few weeks ago in December, Atomos quietly released AtomOS version 6.51 which adds Power Priority mode to the Atomos Shogun and the budget 4K Ninja Assassin recorder/monitor in order maximise battery performance when using the Atomos Power Station. The latter is used to power the camera and as back up for the device providing continuous power via popular Sony NP-F style batteries for example. The Atomos 4K recorders also have some really fast new SSD drives, for which we posted about here.
In case you missed it, like us, Firmware Update 6.51 comes after the major update that was in AtomOS version 6.5, which included Canon C300 Mark II and Canon C500 Raw to ProRes support as well as various popular frame guides including 1.85:1 and 2.39:1. The newest version 6.51 of Atomos’ awesome operating system is somewhat of an incremental update as it also takes care of some bugs and annoyances amongst other things.
AtomOS v6.51 Update
- Added Power Priority mode. Access this option via the Battery Page.
- Two options – Battery priority or DC Priority
- Battery priority forces the device to use the on-board device battery first and then switch to a DC power supply when the battery has depleted.
- This option is to maximise battery performance when using the Atomos Power
- Station to power the camera and as back up for the device
- DC Priority will always use DC as the power source when selected.
- Should be used when using a true AC-DC 110-240V mains
- Use Battery priority mode when using Power Station over DC to device.
- Fixed occasional dropped frame when recording in some FS700 Raw modes.
- Fixed occasional colour encoding issue when recording DNxHR from FS700 Raw.
- Fixed SDI audio output issue that caused audio problems with some broadcast equipment.
- Fixed occasional record failure issue when Time-lapse motion blur is enabled with some video inputs
- Fixed occasional scrambled frames on playback
- Corrected the HDMI audio stream packet information
- Fixed an issue where 24 bit audio output was corrupted during playback.
- Fixed an issue where screen tearing would sometimes appear on the right hand side of the screen.
Download AtomOS 6.51 from here.
Atomos has also prepared a video explaining the new features:
This update should come in very handy for those who either already own an Shogun/Assassin, or are thinking of upping their 4K game and getting a Shogun or Ninja Assassin, as now Atomos is including the Power Station ($454+ value) with 2 x 5200 mAh batteries for FREE with the purchase of either a full version Shogun ($1,995) or the more affordable Ninja Assassin ($1,295).
Atomos Shogun Full Version – $1,995 (B&H / Adorama)
Atomos Ninja Assassin – $1,295 (B&H / Adorama)
Atomos Power Station Video – $395 (B&H / Adorama)
All CES 2016 Announcements into One Page at B&H
All CES 2016 Announcements into One Page at Adorama