It has been a while since we’ve covered the AJA CION 4K camera, which was one of the hottest product releases just two years ago at NAB 2014, and since then the CION production camera has received a few firmware updates, which we’ve covered here and here. For those unfamiliar with the camera, it sports an industry standard PL mount with back-focus adjustment, electronic global shutter, which eliminates the jello effect, an ergonomic design for handheld work and some very juicy codecs and frame rates including 4K/60p in Apple ProRes up to 4444, in addition to 2K and Full HD recording as well as 4K Raw output up to 120fps to an external recorder.
Earlier today, AJA released new firmware update version 1.3 for the AJA CION, in the form of a free software download. Firmware v1.3 is based on direct customer feedback and adds features that improve the CION imagery pipeline.
AJA has also announced that new CION purchases made after April 18, 2016 will qualify for a free 1TB AJA Pak1000 SSD (which normally retails for $1,495) provided directly from AJA.
AJA CION v1.3 Firmware New Features:
- Improved highlight handling and black detail in every gamma mode.
- New gamma naming conventions make the modes more closely aligned to industry standards.
New renamed gamma settings are now available in the CION menu and include new options for Standard, Expanded, Video and Cine modes.
AJA CION Features and Highlights
- 4K APS-C CMOS Sensor
- Electronic Global Shutter
- PL mount with back-focus adjustment
- Internal 4K (4096 x 2160) and UHD recording up to 60p
- 2K/HD Recording
- ProRes 4444 & 422 to AJA Pak Media Cards
- AJA Raw via 3G-SDI Output up to 4K/120p
- AJA Raw via Thunderbolt Out up to 4K/30p
- 12 Stops of Dynamic Range
- Remote Operation over Ethernet
- Contoured Shoulder Pad & Top Handle
Our new firmware update and promo were created in direct response to community feedback. CION v1.3 offers a more gentle roll off of highlights, and a greater level of detail in the blacks, while the new promo makes the camera even more accessible to shooters looking to capture stunning footage, said Nick Rashby, President, AJA Video Systems. We’ve seen great adoption of CION from the commercial and industrial production community and we look forward to getting this update into our customers hands.
CION v1.3 firmware is available today as a free download from AJA’s official website.
AJA CION 4K/2K Production Camera – $4,995 (B&H / Adorama /Amazon)