The latest generation Tascam’s flagship handheld digital recorder DR-100mk III was just unveiled to the world, offering new slick design, higher recording sample rates, and improved overall performance. Unlike its predecessor the ubiquitous Tascam DR-100mk II, the brand new DR-100mk III delivers ultra-high resolution recordings up to 192kHz/24-bit, with an unprecedented 109dB signal to noise ratio. The unit is also capable of recording MP3 and WAV files simultaneously in dual-recording mode and sports a temperature-compensated clock, a built-in limiter, variable low-cut filter, and pad. The latest Tascam handheld recorder now records media SDXC cards up to 128GB in size and provides a dual-battery design that uses a built-in lithium-ion rechargeable and AA batteries for extended recording times. You can even swap batteries during recording without disrupting the process of capturing audio which is another handy feature to have on set.
On top, the Tascam DR-100mkIII comes with dual stereo mics in both AB and omnidirectional patterns, two XLR/combo jacks, switchable phantom power, and a dedicated input level control. The handheld audio recorder also features Tascam’s exclusive Dual Recording Mode, which simultaneously captures a lower level safety track, to safeguard against unforeseen source level spikes. Users may also find useful the new XRI mode that writes recording settings to the file, such as recorder, mics, level, low-cut filter, limiter, and pad. The Tascam DR-100mk III now has five dedicated switches and numerous buttons for faster and improved control.
Tascam DR-100 MK III Handheld Audio Recorder Highlights
- Up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording resolution
- Dual-mono AKM AK4558 converters can be run in “Dual ADC mode” to secure a 109 dB signal-to-noise ratio
- Low-noise HDDA microphone preamps combine discrete performance with digital gain settings
- Dual-battery design uses a built-in lithium-ion rechargeable and AA batteries for extended recording times (you can also swap AAs during recording)
- Dual recording mode captures a low-level safety track to prevent distorted takes
- Temperature-compensated sample clock (TCXO) with 1ppm accuracy
- 1/8″ stereo input with plug-in power
- 1/8″ S/PDIF digital input (with included phono adapter)
- Limiter and low-cut filter (40 / 80 / 120 / 220 Hz)
- A second dual-record mode captures WAV and MP3 files simultaneously
- XRI mode writes recording settings to the file, such as recorder, mics, level, low-cut filter, limiter, and pad
- Five dedicated switches and numerous buttons reduce menu-diving to confirm settings
- Remote input supports TASCAM RC-10, and RC-3F wired remote controls
The Tascam DR-100mkIII is already available worldwide and can be ordered from authorised resellers for $399.99.
Tascam DR-100mkIII Linear PCM Recorder – $ 399.99