Just a few days ago, Sony introduced yet another new full-frame lens for their E-mount camera system – this time it’s a macro (yes!) and it’s called the FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro. The new 50mm lens joins the recently announced budget Sony 50mm f1.8 prime, and the more upscale full-frame Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA lens for E-mount cameras like the Sony A7sII and A7RII in yet another cooperation with legendary optics maker Zeiss. The new FE 50mm F2.8 Macro lens will be nice addition to the lens arsenal of macro photographers and not just the pro’s, but also enthusiasts who often dabble in macro photography with the Sony E-mount camera system. The new 50mm macro lens will be priced around $500 USD and will be available later in September.
The lens features an ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass to effectively compensate for axial chromatic aberration at close focus, allowing it to create consistently sharp and high quality images. The optical and mechanical construction of the lens has less glare and ghosting, even without a lens hood. The lens is also dust and moisture resistant.
Sony FE 50mm f2.8 Macro Features
- Full-frame sensor coverage
- 50mm macro lens with 1:1 magnification
- f/2.8 max. aperture for low-light and shallow depth of field
- 6.25” (0.16m) minimum focusing distance
- 7-blade circular aperture design for beautiful bokeh
- ED glass effectively compensates for axial chromatic aberration
- Robust and reliable dust and moisture resistant design
- Focus-mode switch, focus-range limiter and focus-hold button
- Distance scale, Magnification scale and Distance index
- Compact (2.78”) and lightweight (8.3 oz.) for high mobility
- Great for scenery and portraits as well as macro shots.
Sony bills the lens as “ideal for everyday photography”, and the bright f/2.8 maximum aperture should help in low light situations and produce a lovely “bokeh” background effect, while its 1:1 macro capability allows photographers to get sharp close-up shots of their subject. Additionally, its comprehensive range of controls including focus-mode switch, focus-range limiter and focus-hold button ensure an effortless shooting experience for a wide range of users.
The lens offers a 6.3 inch minimum focusing distance and a wider field of view for capturing more background, compared to longer focal-length macro lenses. Weighing in at a mere 8.4 oz., it’s extremely lightweight and portable, making it easy to carry around.
Check out some sample shots below:
The new Sony 50mm FE f/2.8 Macro is priced at $498 and can be pre-ordered from B&H and Adorama, as well as other authorised dealers. You can learn more about the lens at the Adorama Learning Centre here.