Let’s forget about cameras for a moment. After spending two days at the BSC Expo in London seeing almost every single pro camera out there – from the ARRI Alexa 65 and RED Weapon 8K to the Panasonic GH5, I am suffering from a nasty case of “camera/lens gear overload” and decided that now is the time for some new LED lights that I saw at the show.
There were quite a few cool LED lights from the likes of Kino Flo, DedoLight, LiteGear and of course remote phosphor specialists Cineo Lighting, who showed off their newest MavX “color-tunable” LED light. Known for their robust and high quality remote phosphor lights, Cineo Lighting brings out a new Cineo MavX LED version that is colour-switchable between 2700K – 6500K and the equivalent output of a 1K fixture.
The Cineo MavX sports a compact design for a soft light that is both exceptionally durable and elegant. Emitting a maximum of 8000 lumens with no colour shift or flicker at any output level, the Cineo MavX uses passive thermal management for completely silent operation much like the rest of the Cineo lineup.
The Cineo MavX supports Cineo’s Photo-Accurate Dimming, which matches the dimming curve to camera stops. Local control is simple and intuitive, complimented by both wired and wireless DMX control built-in.
According to Cineo, the MavX is also ideal as a portable, battery-powered soft source, and thanks to its patented SmartPower technology, the light provides consistent light output during battery operation regardless of the charge state of the battery.
Cineo MavX Features
- Optimized output for film, video and still photography
- Small and lightweight
- Weather resistant
- Output similar to traditional 1K softlight
- Utilizes CineoColor custom LED’s for accurate, consistent output
- Colour-accurate CCT adjustment from 2700K to 6500K, with presets at 3200K, 4300K and 5600K
- 150° light spread
- Completely flicker-free operation
- Silent, passive cooling: no fans
- Rotary on-board dimming, with presets calibrated in camera stops
- 5-pin wired DMX control for both dimming and CCT adjustment
- Built-in LumenRadioTM wireless DMX control included 80/20 T-Slot mounting slots
- Easily removable yoke
- Accessories include
- AC adapter,
- V-Lock battery adapter,
- AB Gold mount battery adapter,
- Barn Doors, grids, louvers, and soft boxes
Cineo MaVx Specifications
- Input: 10.5-28 VDC input; 75, 120, 135 watts user configurable
- Maximum output: up to 8,000 lumens
- SmartPower technology delivers constant output as battery voltage decreases
- Size: 9.5” x 8.5” x 3.25” (241mm x 216mm x 83mm)
- Weight: 5 lbs. (2.3 kg) 4-pin XLR power input
- 50,000 hr. L70 rated
- Environmental temperature range: -20° – +40° C
- Max. Temperature rise: +45° C
- 2-year parts and labor warranty
- ETL, cETL, CE and RoHS Compliant
- Zero UV light emitted
- Made in USA
To my understanding, the MavX doesn’t offer true RGB adjustment, however due to their custom CineoColor LED’s the MavX can deliver accurate and consistent colour between 2700K and 6500K.
Single operators/small studios/production companies working higher-end jobs for blue chips where pro colourists end up finishing the job would benefit from the high fidelity and portability of this light.
The new Cineo MavX is expected to start shipping later this month and is priced at $2,250 USD.