More and more details regarding the long-awaited and highly anticipated RED Komodo 6K camera emerged earlier today. The upcoming camera should be available soon in custom colors and limited quantities starting at $6,000.
According to Jarred Land, the current president of RED Digital Cinema, the custom colored versions of RED Komodo alongside the Stormtrooper white model will be selling for around $7,000, whereas the regular black units will cost $1,000 less. Here’s the original post of Land that popped up on Instagram just a few hours ago.
View this post on Instagram
New step in the the process? 15 minutes in the magical UV Bubble just for good measure. Now that our factory is back in action …albeit severely anemic with the new protocols, we can slowly start making Komodos again. it’s a really, really slow train now so it’s gonna take a while to get enough of our troops back to start making enough volume to blast out to dealers and the world but the good news is to pass that time and keep our skeleton crew busy, in 2 weeks I’m gonna start selling some crazy colored Komodos to my friends and anyone else who wants to be a little “different” . Super limited low quantities. Will make just a handful per week till the stormtroopers are ready . Email me if your interested.
Besides the brand new Super 35 6K sensor it was confirmed that the newcomer will feature a plethora of REDCODE Raw recording options up to 6K/40fps utilizing the full sensor size alongside anamorphic support, phase-detect autofocus support and global shutter mode.
Other noteworthy features include top touchscreen menu and live-view display, CFast 2.0 recording media, 4K SDI input, 3.5mm audio in, headphone jack, Wi-Fi capabilities for remote camera control, and more.
RED Komodo 6K Highlights
- RED Komodo 6K Super 35 sensor
- 27.03mm x 14.25mm (6144 x 3240)
- Fixed Canon RF mount
- RF to EF (and PL) adapters available
- many more adapter options
- Phase-detect Autofocus support
- There will be some sort of Global Shutter Mode
- 6K/40fps full-sensor; 6K WS at 50fps
- in Global Shutter Mode
- REDCODE Raw recording options
- Anamorphic support
- CFast 2.0 recording media
- first RED camera to use non-proprietary media
- Komodo is both the name of the new sensor and camera body
- Komodo is not DSMC2 or replacement for it
- Not DSMC3 either: it’s an auxiliary camera in the lineup
- 4K SDI output (can be 6G or 12G-SDI, that’s TBD)
- 3.5mm audio in, headphone jack
- 2 x Canon BP style battery slots, hot-swappable
- Top touchscreen menu and live-view display
- Wi-Fi for remote camera control and monitoring
- Cube-like form-factor, smallest RED camera to date
- Release sometime in 2020
- Price: $6K-$7K
Apparently, there is still no word regarding the official release date and full specifications of the camera but hopefully, this will change soon.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!