SmallRig has announced the RC220 LED video light that is more powerful than their previous point-source offering. But while the 220 series enjoys a lux rating of nearly 100,000, it is no larger than the 120 series. And that’s incredible.
At only 1.65KG (3.6 pounds) the RC220 series has two different versions. The daylight capable RC220D with a Kelvin rating of 5000K and the color adjustable RC220B bi-color LED with a Kelvin rating of 2700-6500K.
Both lights require about 230 watts of power, but the most incredible feature is just how bright these lights are rated with a center illuminance reaching 98,700 Lux and 84,500 Lux respectively at 1 meter.
And with having to put out that much power, the 220 series has a very quiet active cooling fan that switches on and off when needed to keep the lights cool and quiet. So quiet, in fact, that the 220 series is louder than rustling leaves but quieter than a refrigerator.
Light intensity is adjustable by knobs in the back from 0 to 100%, but the lights can also be connected via SmallRig’s SmallGoGo smartphone app to control the same features remotely.
Notwithstanding, even with all that power, the RC220 series is still able to illuminate with a color accuracy rating of 96+/95+for professional-level color reproduction and stable color output.
Available lighting effects include nine different modes including flash, paparazzi, storm lightning, party, flickering or faulty bulb, TV glow, flame, fireworks, or breath.
The 220 series can be powered by either a 30-volt XLR locking AC power cable, or optional V-Mount batteries (although SmallRig doesn’t mention how long a battery can put out the necessary 230 watts of power before being changed out).
Other features include:
- High Luminescence: the RC 220D (220W) center illuminance reaches 98,700 Lux at 1 meter (3.3 ft) and the RC 220B (220W) center illuminance reaches 84,500 Lux at 1 meter (3.3 ft). Control output from 0 ~ 100%. (with hyper reflector)
- High Color Accuracy: with CRI/TLCI scores of 96+/95+, RC 220 Series lights produce professional-level color reproduction and rendering and consistent, stable color output.
- Intelligent Remote Light Control: the SmallGoGo App allows individual or group control of SmallRig lights up to 100m (328 ft) away. Remotely control the light output, special effects, color temperature (RC 220B only), and more.
- Ultra-Quiet Active Cooling System: the automatic circuitry activates the extremely quiet fan (<30dB) when needed for stable performance and safe, continuous use without disturbing video recording.
- Standard Bowens Mount: quickly attach or remove SmallRig softboxes or choose from the impressive range of fully compatible light shaping accessories offered by other brands. And with the size of the 220 series, the same as the RC120, softboxes, and other accessories should be compatible.
- Dual Power Supply System: use an adapter in the studio or popular V-mount batteries for in-the-field productions.
The preorder price for the SmallRig RC220 Point-Source LED lights is $369 for the bi-color RC RC220B, and $329 for the RC220D Daylight Point-Source Video Light, with an expected shipping date of May 31st, 2022.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!