The sibling of the Sony’s flagship FS7 camera was just announced. The brand new PXW-FS5 has a Super 35 “Exmor” CMOS Sensor providing 14 stops of dynamic range and shoots UHD 3840 x 2160 at 100Mbps using Sony’s advanced XAVC-L codec. The camera is also capable of delivering a stunning Full HD 60fps utilising XAVC 10bit 4:2:2 codec along with slow motion recording up to 240fps without any sensor cropping. The 240fps slow motion is limited to a 9-second buffer, equivalent to about a minute and a half real time. Pricing at the moment is $5,600 body only, and $6,100 for the lens kit with the Sony 18-105mm f4 zoom lens.
The PXW-FS5 features small and compact body, that provides both Built-in Electric Variable ND from 1/4ND to 1/128ND along with Manual ND Filter ranging from 1/4 to 1/64. The FS5 is built around a high-sensitivity 4K Super 35 “Exmor” CMOS Sensor that offers all the benefits of a large format sensor in combination with the exceptional image readout speeds required for 4K motion picture shooting and Super Slow Motion. Here is the official video presentation provided by Sony.
Sony PXW-FS5 Highlights:
- 4K Super35mm Exmor sensor
- Native E-Mount
- Native 3,200 ISO with 14 Stops of Dynamic Range
- Manual ND Filter: OFF: CLEAR, 1: 1/4ND, 2: 1/16ND, 3: 1/64ND
- Built-in Electric Variable ND from 1/4ND to 1/128ND
- On-board XAVC-L recording
- S-Log2 and S-Log3 modes
- 3840 x 2160 8-bit, 4:2:0, up to 30fps continuous.
- 1080 10-bit 4:2:2 up to 60fps continuous & 120, 240, 480, 960 fps buffered.
- OLED Viewfinder
- 3.5″ LC
- Magnesium frame & body with active cooling
- 4K DCI Compliant output and 4K Raw in a paid future firmware upgrade
- Dual SD Card Slots
- 3G-SDI, 4K HDMI, WiFi, Wired LAN, 2 XLR, Built-in Mic
- Availability: November 2015
- List Price: $5,600 Body Only / $6,100 with 18-105mm f4 zoom lens kit
- UK Price: £4,100 + VAT body only / £4,550 + VAT with kit lens.
To support traditional Super 16mm cinema lenses, the FS5 has also a Centre Scan Mode which selectively outputs 2160×1080 from the sensor’s centre. This gives the FS5 all the characteristics of a Super 16mm film camera and avoids any vignetting. It also offers a 2X Digital Extender zoom – effectively doubling your range for HD content. Find the full information about the camera on the Sony’s official website.
B&H Pre-Order Links:
Sony PXW-FS5 Body Only
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!