There is a new affordable 4K action camera hailing from the UK – the Olfi 4K action cam from UK outfit HEDCAMz. The tiny action cam utilises a Sony Exmor R back-illuminated sensor and sports a rather familiar action cam design reminiscent of a GoPro Hero4 and also offers 4K UHD recording at 24fps and also 60fps slow-motion at Full HD. For 120fps super-slow motion the resolution drops at 720p, but the big feature here is that the camera features built-in gyro stabilisation – great for when you have to mount the camera to a car or any non-stationary object. High Dynamic range video is also possible enabling the Olfi to retain more detail in the brightest and darkest areas of the image, allowing you to push your creativity to the next level. This setting is perfect for professional users looking to colour grade their edits or beginners pushing their filmmaking boundaries. The camera is also waterproof up to 30 meters and a decent battery life of up to 2 hours in Full HD or 1 hour and 20 minutes in 4K.
As action cameras become an inseparable part of any cameraman’s bag we’ll start seeing more action camera entrants challenging established players like GoPro and Sony. This is where the Olfi has a sizeable advantage – it’s only £150 ($220) making it super affordable for just about any shooter. Check out some more features below as well as full specs and a few short clips.
Olfi 4K Camera Features
- 4K UHD at 24fps
- Up to 120fps Slow Motion in 720p
- Gyro Stabilisation
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) Video
- 30m Waterproof
- Powerful 1600 mAh Removable Battery
- Priced at £150 (around $220 US)
Olfi 4K HDR Action Camera Video Resolutions/Frame Rates
- 4K/24fps at UHD 3840×2160
- 2.5K/30fps at 2560×1440
- 1080p/60fps at 1920×1080
- 720p/120fps at 1280×720
- 480/30fps at 640×480
Here is what’s included in the package:
- Olfi Camera with 30M Waterproof Case
- Open Back Door
- Short 90º Connector / Long 90º Connector
- J Clip / Short Clip
- 2 x Short Screws / 1 x Long Screw
- Curved 3M Adhesive Base
- Flat 3M Adhesive Base
- Carry Case / 1 x USB Cable / 1 x Free Smartphone App
OLFI 4K Action Camera Tech Specs
- Camera – 75g
- Camera and waterproof case – 130g
- Camera – 41x 59 x 28mm
- Camera in waterproof case – 72 x 72 x 38mm
- Black with blue LED status indicators
- Back illuminated Sony Exmor-R CMOS sensor.
- Up to 30 metres with included waterproof housing.
- Automatically creates a time lapse video from images taken at set intervals.
- Intervals: 0.5, 1, 3, 5, 10, and 30 seconds.
- Continuously records in 5 minute sections, overwriting the oldest files when the memory card is full. This mode is ideal for evidential use.
- Adds a time and date stamp over video clips and photos. This feature is recommended for evidential use only as the time stamp cannot be removed from the file.
USB Auto On
- With this feature selected, the camera will power on and start recording when power is detected.
USB Auto Off
- With the mode active, the camera will automatically power off when the USB power supply is cut. Combine this feature with “USB Auto On”, “Time Stamp” and “Loop” for the perfect evidential setup.
- 16MP (4609×3456 pixels)
- 8MP (3264×2448 pixels)
- 5MP (2592×1944 pixels)
- Takes 11 photos in 1 second
- Takes a sequence of photos over set intervals.
- Intervals: 1, 3, 5, 10, 30 seconds.
- Gyro image stabilisation – reduces shake and makes for clearer images.
- High Dynamic Range Video – Captures more detail in the image’s highlights and shadows.
- Choose from “Standard” and “Vivid” colour profiles. “Standard” is recommended for professionals looking to colour grade their final videos and edits.
- Limit ISO to balance brightness and image noise when shooting in low light environments. ISO is set to “Auto” as default, adjusting this setting is recommended for professional users.
- Limits can be set at 100, 400 and 1600 ISO.
- Choose from high, medium and low sharpness settings.
- Field of view can be adjusted between medium and wide modes.
- Automatically reduces the “Fisheye” effect visible when field of view is set to “wide”.
- Adjust light frequency between 50HZ and 60HZ to reduce flicker from artificial lighting.
- Removable 1600mAh Li-ion
- Up to 2 hours in 1080p at 60fps.
- Up to 1 hour 20 minutes in 4K at 24fps.
- Internal mic captures audio in all video modes. Tip – Try using the waterproof housing to reduce wind noise.
- Mini USB – Charging and data transfer.
- Micro HDMI – Video output.
- MicroSD – Compatible with class 10 or higher MicroSD cards up to 64GB
- Compatible with the Olfi app for iOS and Android – Use the Olfi app to control your camera and review and share you footage.
This seems like an interesting little camera and seems to be priced really aggressively. It would be interesting to see image comparisons with the GoPro Hero4 and Sony FDR-X1000V 4K action cam and I’d like to also see longer clips showcasing the HDR and gyro stabilisation a bit better.
I’ll be keeping an eye out for more developments around the Olfi 4K action cam. In the meantime, if you want to read more and order yours you can do so direct here.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!