Metabones just released a new firmware update v0.53 for their popular Canon EF to Sony E mount Smart Adapter Mark IV and EF to E mount Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x, which includes improvements to make it easier for users to select between Green and Advanced modes using the Metabones App, some stability improvements and better AF accuracy improvement for subjects near infinity among other improvements. The latest firmware also includes shortened shutdown time for stabilised lenses. With stellar optics and build quality, the Metabones adapters and focal reducers have become a permanent fixture on plenty of 4K Sony camcorders including the popular Sony FS5 and FS700 predecessor, as well as the Sony A7R II and A7sII mirrorless machines.
Sure, they may cost quite a bit more than other more budget oriented adapters, but from personal experience, I wouldn’t substitute my Speed Booster Ultra for any other focal reducer. On the Smart Adapter (optics-free) front there are some worthy competing options, which are cheaper – such as the Commlite EF to E adapter, which I am testing at the moment and so far quite happy with, but that’s a discussion and topic for another time.
You may also remember that the previous Metabones firmware update from end of June this year, which added Eye-AF for Sony A6300 and A7/s/R cameras, Fast contrast detect AF for all E-Mount cameras and Smooth Iris to their range of EF mount Speed boosters.
The new firmware update v0.53 also lets cameras with In-Body Image Stabilization such as the upcoming Sony a6500 and the already existing full-frame Sony A7s II decide whether to use only the in-camera stabilization or the lens stabilization or a combination of both when you use compatible lenses with the Metabones adapters and cameras with IBIS.
Metabones (EF-E Smart Adapter/Speed Booster) Firmware v0.53 Details:
- Easier user interface to select between Green and Advanced mode using Metabones App, with separate settings for newer cameras and older cameras (except Mark I/II/III and original Speed Booster).
- Fix operation of Kenko Pro300 DGX (green dot) stacked on EF Extender III.
- Option to park focus to infinity upon shutdown to shorten its length for storage (except Mark I/II/III and original Speed Booster). Some lenses may disregard this setting but never park focus, and most of these are internal focus lenses which do not require parking. STM lenses always observe the option setting.
- Shortened shutdown time for IS lenses.
- Option to close down the aperture or leave it where it is when camera shuts down (except Mark I/II/III and original Speed Booster).
- Option to let camera body decide whether OIS, IBIS or a combination thereof shall be selected (except Mark I/II/III and original Speed Booster).
- AF accuracy improvement for subjects near infinity.
- Fixed autocrop of Sigma 50-100/1.8 DC HSM Art 016.
- Stability improvement.
- Fixed issue with Tamron VC USD where autofocus may occasionally become inoperative.
Note that this firmware is only compatible with the latest versions:
- Metabones EF to E Smart Adapter Mark IV – (B&H, Adorama Amazon US, Amazon UK)
- Metaones EF to E Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x – (B&H, Adorama Amazon US, Amazon UK)
- Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later
- Windows Vista SP2
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10 (Firmware version 43)
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!