In addition to the flagship GH5 4K/60p camera, at the start of CES 2017, Panasonic also announced the $400 Lumix DC-FZ80 compact zoom with 4K/30p video and 4K Photo capture as well as a bunch of new Lumix lenses for the GH5 and other Micro Four thirds cameras. The new super compact zoom is also branded DC-FZ82 in the UK (DC-FZ80 in North America) and features a fixed LUMIX DC VARIO 20mm ultra wide-angle lens with a staggering 60x optical zoom. It costs only $400 and comes with USB charging to allow an even quicker charge.
The FZ-80 features a newly integrated 18.1-megapixel High Sensitivity MOS Sensor and advanced image processor Venus Engine enabling a high-speed, high-precision AF with DFD (Depth from Defocus) for more accurate focusing.
The compact super-zoom is also capable of high-speed burst shooting at 10 fps (AFS)/6 fps (AFC) to capture fast-moving subjects in sharp focus.
In the video department you can capture in UHD (3,840 x 2,160) resolution at 25p for the UK/EU model and 30p for the NTSC model. The powerful 60x optical zoom and POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) with Active Mode suppresses blurring even in video recording.
Panasonic is pushing hard their 4K PHOTO capture technology, and the FZ80/82 can do it too.
Panasonic LUMIX DC-FZ80 Features
- 18.1MP 1/2.3″ MOS Sensor
- Lumix DC Vario 60x Zoom Lens
- 20-1200mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 1.166m-Dot Electronic Viewfinder
- 3.0″ 1.04m-Dot Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- 4K UHD Video Recording at 30 fps
- Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity
- ISO 6400, 10 fps Shooting, 4K Photo Mode
- Post Focus and Focus Stacking
- POWER O.I.S., DFD AF System
- US Price: $399 B&H/Adorama
- UK Price: £329
- Availability: March 2017
Here is a 4K sample video from the DC-FZ82:
Of course, if the FZ82/80 is not your cup of tea, and you’ve been drooling over the freshly announced Panasonic GH5 – read about the official video specs in our post here and also check out the First Look from B&H below.
Panasonic GH5 First Look from B&H Photo and Video
If this wasn’t enough to tickle your fancy, then Panasonic Australia has you covered with a 20 minute in-depth video at the new features in the Panasonic GH5.
Panasonic also announced a boat load of new lenses for the GH5. The big hitters in this category are the Mark II version of the very popular Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f2.8 II Aspherical Power O.I.S. priced at $999 and the new Lumix G Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm f2.8-f4.0 Power O.I.S., which will sell for the same price – $1K USD.
Given the 2x crop of the GH5 even in 4K (the GH4 had a bigger 2.3x crop in 4K as opposed to Full HD, but now in the GH5 there are no further sensor crops, the GH5 utilises the whole chip) the 12-35 will give you the classic 24-70mm FF equivalent, while the 12-60 will extend this reach to 24-120 albeit at the expensive of loosing a couple of stops at the long end.
Both lenses are stabilized and paired with the new 5-axis Dual I.S II in the GH5, handheld work should be a breeze. Can’t wait for some samples and to get my hands on a unit and test it myself. See links below where you can pre-order these lenses.
- Panasonic DC-FZ80 4K camera – $399 B&H/Adorama
- Panasonic GH5 Body Only – $1998 B&H
- GH5 DMW-XLR1 XLR audio hot-shoe adapter – $399 B&H
- GH5 DMW-BGGH5 Battery Grip – $349 B&H/Adorama
New Panasonic Lenses for GH5:
- Lumix G Vario 45-200mm f/4-5.6 II Power O.I.S. – $449 B&H/Adorama
- Lumix G Vario 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6 II Power O.I.S – $649 B&H/Adorama
- Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm F/2.8 II Aspherical Power O.I.S. $999 B&H/Adorama
- Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f/2.8 II ASPH – $1,099.99 B&H/Adorama
- Lumix G Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm F/2.8-4.0 Aspherical Power O.I.S. – $999.99 B&H
GET the ULTIMATE DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 COURSE BUNDLE for just $97! Sale Ends July 9th, 11:59pm PT