Budget gear maker Aputure have released a free firmware update for their Aputure VS-5X monitor, enabling 3D LUT support and also adding a new and improved false colour system and a few other tweaks based on customer feedback. Aputure have also been making a name for themselves lately with their excellent LED lights, as well as new additions such as the Amaran F7 and MX, but for those you who have been using Aputure products from the beginning of the company, you are probably very familiar with their VS range of monitors.
The new Aputure VS-5x is a 7-inch on-camera monitor with SDI and HDMI connectivity (including cross conversion), with a 1920 x 1200 LCD display featuring 450 nits of brightness and some serious monitoring tools including, but not limited to false colour, RGB parade, histogram, waveform and vectorscope.
Thanks to the latest firmware update the Aputure VS-5X now supports 3D LUTs and includes 4 built-in LUTs in addition to giving users the ability to load up to 8 more via USB in the widely popular “.cube” format.
Note: Each 3D-LUT file can have a max file size of 7.9Mb. The following LUT sizes are supported: 16, 17, 32, 33, 65 in the format “XXX. Cube”.
Aputure VS-5X Firmware Version 1.71 (2018.03.17)
- 3D LUT Support
- Improved False Colour Upgrade
- Language Selection at Startup
- Camera Mode Change and Remove Scan Mode
Steps of using custom 3D LUTs:
- 1. Place your 3D LUT file (XXX.Cube) into your root file of your USB drive.
- Insert the USB drive into the monitor and turn the monitor on.
- 2. Enter the monitor menu, select “Update Look (USB)” on the “Other Settings” menu.
- Then press F2 or F3 to upload the custom 3D-LUT file.
- 3. The 3D-LUT file will be updated, and the LUT file name will be displayed in the update process.
- When the update process is complete, it will read “success”.
- 4. In the menu “Colour Setting”, open the “Look switch” and select the installed 3D-LUT files when ready to use.
1. Each 3D-LUT file can have a max file size of 7.9Mb, the VS-5X can support up to 8 custom 3D LUTs.
- 2. The VS-5x supports the following LUT sizes: 16, 17, 32, 33, 65 in the format “XXX. Cube”.
- 3. Name your files only with English alphanumeric characters (letters and numbers).
- 4. Make sure your USB drive is formatted to FAT32 or MS-DOS FAT.
To download the firmware update and read more about how to install the firmware head over to Aputure’s website here.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!