The BMPCC 4K is a great video camera, with fantastic picture quality and some really nice features. But what if you want to level up and go full beast mode? Well, then you are talking about rigging and all that entails. From monitoring to power, external SSD’s and ergonomics… undertaking a rig build is not for the faint-hearted.
While I love a well-thought-out rig they do often make me wonder – would you not be easier and cheaper just buying an FS5 or C100 etc. Well, the rig in this video includes some features that you wouldn’t find in either of those cameras and a great many more. So, let’s take your Blackmagic game to the next level and check out an awesome rig.
I have included a list of all the parts used in this build with links to sites from where they can be purchased at the bottom.
Getting a camera onto your shoulder can be an expensive and weighty task. I have struggled with the weight of my FS7 when shoulder mounted but if you wish to achieve that natural camera movement then it can be essential. The solution in this video is excellent and looks well balanced and comfortable.
The whole video does feel like an advert for SmallRig and other rig options are available but again, this looks like a solid and well put together setup.
Powering the whole unit requires a heavy V-Lock battery but that provides good counterbalance at the back of the rig. Only one other battery is required on the Small HD Monitor, which is also an excellent piece of kit.
The Rode mic could be substituted for any other brand that would fit, as could the Speed Booster, Metabones being the more expensive but more popular option. You have a huge variety of lenses to choose from once you decide to attach an adapter.
Where this whole setup really works for me is the addition of the hand grips on the shoulder rig and the follow focus system. I love using a manual follow focus and I like the look of shoulder camera with good grips. This is certainly covered well here.
Now, I am super curious if anyone has actually copied this video and put this together for themselves and if so, how much did it all cost?
- BMPCC 4K (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig 2203 Full Cage for BMPCC 4K (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig Samsung T5 SSD Mount (B&H, Amazon)
- Samsung 1TB T5 Portable Solid-State Drive (B&H, Amazon)
- Samsung 500GB T5 Portable Solid-State Drive (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig Cold Shoe Handle (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig NATO Top Handlegrip (B&H, Amazon)
- Manfrotto 394 RC4 Quick Release (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig Camera Tripod Mounting Baseplate (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig 12″ (30 cm) 15mm Rod (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig Universal Camera Shoulder Pad (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig Rosette Handle Kit (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig 15mm Rod Rail Handle Kit (B&H, Amazon)
- Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Nikon (B&H, Amazon)
- Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 Art DC HSM Lens for Nikon (B&H, Amazon)
- Viltrox NF-M43X Adapter (B&H, Amazon)
- Tiffen 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter (B&H, Amazon)
- Movo F2X Precision Follow Focus System (Amazon)
- Neewer A-B Stop Follow Focus (Amazon)
- Indipro Tools V-Mount Plate (B&H, Amazon)
- IndiPRO Tools Compact 95Wh V-mount Li-Ion Battery (B&H, Amazon)
- Juicebox V-Mount Battery and Charger (Amazon)
- SmallRig EVF Mount Camera Monitor Mount Kit (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallHD FOCUS 5″ On-Camera Monitor (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig Monitor Cage Kit (B&H, Amazon)
- SmallRig Lens Support (B&H, Amazon)
- KONDOR BLUE 20″ D-Tap to BMPCC 4K Power Cable (Amazon)
- Blackmagic Bmd-Hyperd/Axlrmini2 Video Assist Mini XLR Cable (Amazon)
- Pearstone Standard Series HDMI to Micro HDMI Cable (Amazon)
- SmallRig 1/4″-20 Thumbscrew (B&H, Amazon)
[source: Anomaly XIII]
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!