WHAAAAT!?! No, this is not a joke! Blackmagic Design just announced a new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K with a Super 35mm sensor and a native EF Mount!
Well, this came out of nowhere – just minutes ago, during a pretty loaded Blackmagic Camera and Production Update livestream that was so jam packed with new DaVinci Resolve 16.1 update that it could have easily broken the Internet, Blackmagic Design CEO Grant Petty, just unveiled the new addition to the Blackmagic camera family – the Pocket Camera 6K EF!
The new Blackmagic Pocket 6K model shares the same form factor (except for a wider mount given the new and bigger sensor) as the current Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, which has a Four Thirds sensor and an MFT mount, will shoot up to 50 fps at (6144 x 3456) 16:9 or 60 fps at (6144 x 2560) 2.4:1!
Images by Blackmagic Design
The new Blackmagic Pocket 6K can also record at the staggering 60 fps at 5744 x 3024 17:9. For higher frame rates they can window the sensor and shoot up to 120 fps at 2.8K 2868 x 1512 17:9. And if that’s not enough – you can even shoot in True Anamorphic 6:5 using anamorphic lenses in 3.7K 60 fps at 3728 x 3104!
Those are pretty insane specs for a $2,495 compact digital cinema camera! I mean, say what you will about Blackmagic Design. Yes, it’s no secret that the Pocket 4K camera has been on permanent delay due to serious electronics components shortages from suppliers, for which Grant did apologise in the livestream, since day one, but the whole team at Blackmagic Design have been pushing the envelope to the absolute maximum since the very beginning.
In 2019, 6K for $2.5K, I mean, come on – at this point if you can’t get great images out of this camera – file it under User Error.
Image by Blackmagic Design
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K Features
- Same Form-Factor as Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- New Super 35mm 6K Sensor (6144 x 3456)
- Native Canon EF Mount
- 6K 16:9 up to 50fps
- 6K (5744 x 3024) 17:9 up to 60fps
- 6K (6144 x 2560) 2.4:1 up to 60fps
- 2.8K (2868 x 1512) 17:9 at 120fps (crop mode)
- Designed from carbon fiber polycarbonate composite.
- Multifunction grip allows single hand operation.
- Wide 13 stops of dynamic range for film looks.
- Up to 25,600 ISO for incredible low light performance.
- Records full resolution up to 60 fps or 120 fps windowed.
- Standard open file formats compatible with popular software.
- Built in SD, UHS-II and CFast card recorders.
- Record Blackmagic RAW and ProRes internally onto CFast 2.0 or SSD externally
- Built in 5″ touchscreen allows accurate focus when shooting 6K.
- Blackmagic OS as used in URSA Mini and URSA Broadcast cameras.
- Includes Blackmagic Generation 4 Colour Science.
- Features full size HDMI for monitoring with status overlay.
- Professional mini XLR input with 48 volt phantom power.
- 3D LUTs Support
- USB-C port allows recording directly to external disk.
- Built in timecode generator for sync muli-camera shoots.
- Supports still frame capture up to 21.2 megapixel.
- Localized for 11 popular languages.
- Supports remote camera control via Bluetooth.
- Powers via 12V DC input and can recharge via USB-C.
- Includes full DaVinci Resolve Studio for post production.
- Pre-order: $2,495 at B&H
Images by Blackmagic Design
“The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K features incredible new 6K imaging and EF lens support that customers have asked for,” said Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO. “It has all of the great features customers love from the 4K model, but now adds an EF lens, increased 6K resolution for even higher quality images and more.
Plus, with the built in Video Assist features, customers don’t have to purchase and carry around extra equipment. DaVinci Resolve Studio is also included, making it an incredible all in one solution that enables anyone to be creative and tell a story.”
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K also include a full version of DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.1.
Other familiar features and connectivity includes full-sized HDMI connection, Canon LP-E6 battery, CFast 2.0 support as well as UBS-C output for external SSD recording. Blackmagic RAW is of course included, which in itself can easily transform your raw workflow.
The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K EF is available to pre-order for $2,495 from B&H and other authorised dealers. B&H’s website says availability from 12th August, but given the current production issues with the Pocket 4K MFT, it would be hard to estimate when first shipments will start.
I am hoping for better availability on the Pocket 6K than the 4K version, and I can fully sympathise with those of you, who have just ordered the Pocket 4K camera…
For full specifications head over to Blackmagic Design’s website here.