New details regarding the upcoming EOS R5 emerged earlier today. According to the latest updates provided by Canon, the newcomer will shoot 8K video internally up to 29.97fps with no crop.
Furthermore, the EOS R5 users will be able to take advantage of the onboard Dual Pixel AF in all 8K shooting modes even when combined with Animal Detection. The latter steadily tracks animal subjects (dogs, cats, birds, etc.) by detecting the body, face, or eye of the subject.
Last but not least, the next-generation full-frame camera will use the in-body image stabilization (IBIS) in conjunction with the Image Stabilization (IS) available with selected Canon lenses when shooting video and stills.
Additionally, Canon plans to release nine brand new RF lenses including the RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM, Extender RF 1.4x and Extender RF 2x. To recap, here are all EOS R5 specifications officially confirmed by Canon thus far:
- Next-Generation EOS R Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera
- Newly Developed CMOS Sensor and Image Processor
- Internal 8K video recording up to 29.97fps with no crop
- Built-in Image Stabilization
- Dual Pixel AF in all 8K shooting modes
- Animal Detection
- Still Extraction from 8K Video
- 8K down-sampling to 4K
- Mechanical Shutter
- Electronic Shutter
- 20 FPS with Electronic Shutter
- 12 FPS with Mechanical Shutter
- Dual Card Slots
The release date and availability of the upcoming EOS R5 are yet to be confirmed.
B&H Pre-Order Link:
Canon EOS R Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)