Even though the Fujifilm X-T3 is now two years old camera, it’s cheering to see that Fuji are not abandoning the model and continue to improve its performance. With the just-released update version 4.00, the company has notably improved the autofocus capabilities of the unit bringing them on par with the X-T4 autofocus. In fact, Fujifilm states that overall tracking performance has been doubled over version 3.30.
After applying the latest update, X-T3 users should be able to easily maintain a precise focus on the subject in frame by simply pressing the shutter button halfway down. Fujifilm also states the base algorithm was re-written to double the tracking performance with continuous shooting modes. Face Tracking/Eye AF performance has also been improved.
Fujifilm X-T3 Update 4.0 Highlights
- The fastest AF speed has been improved from 0.06 seconds to 0.02 seconds, equivalent to the performance of the X-T4.
- The algorithm for predicting subject movements has been updated.
- AF tracking performance has been doubled*. Press the shutter button halfway down when a subject is in the focus area to maintain focus on the subject with a higher level of accuracy.
- The Face Tracking / Eye AF performance has been upgraded. The algorithm has been re-written to double* the tracking performance of the Eye AF in continuous shooting modes.
- The update allows the camera AF to work in low light levels down to -7EV**, facilitating fast and highly-accurate phase-detection AF even in near darkness.
- The new firmware adds the “Focus Limiter” function, which gives a pre-define specific focus range.
* When compared with the Firmware Ver.3.30.
** When using the FUJINON Lens XF50mmF1.0 R WR.
- The size of the Single AF point can be adjusted during video recording.
- Photo ratings can be read by third-party software, allowing users to find their favorite pictures quickly.
- The focus point can be changed by the focus lever during the AE lock.
- The default setting of the AF-S PRIORITY SELECTION in the RELEASE/FOCUS PRIORITY of the SHOOTING menu is changed to FOCUS from RELEASE.
- The updates allow the camera AF to work better in low light down to -7 EV. This is based on using the XF50mm f/1.0. As with all AF lenses, they don’t all work the same and with continuous AF in video mode, it is very much hit and miss.
To download the X-T3 firmware update version 4.00, head over to the Fujifilm support page here.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!