Chronos 2.1 HD is still one of the most affordable ultra-high-speed cameras one can get out there. Even though it’s now a bit pricier than when it was initially released, the camera brings a ton of cool features along with some insane slow-motion capabilities that were previously out of reach for most indie filmmakers and content creators working on a budget.
It also seems that the latest Kron Technologies’ offering is in great demand lately, considering that if you pre-order a unit now, you can expect it to ship in March 2021 at the earliest.
Once you get your hands on the camera, though, you can capture 1000fps at Full HD (1920×1080) and up to mind-boggling 100,000 fps at lower resolutions. You can also expect outstanding video quality when using Raw as seen in the following product shoot for Bergmann Brauerei filmed by Christian from Vorzeigekind.
Apparently, the Chronos 2.1 gets better and better with every new software update but if you really want to attain the best possible results, you need to operate the camera at 0dB of gain and light the scene properly.
It’s highly recommended to use high-quality LED lights to avoid some unwanted artifacts such as vertical banding and noise which were previously reported by some Chronos 2.1 users when filming at 6dB and 12dB.
Other than that, you get more than a capable ultra-high-speed camera that features a 4/3” Full HD CMOS sensor with 2.1Gpx/s throughput, electronic global shutter, a 5″ touchscreen display with 1000 nits of brightness alongside the ability to capture 12-bit uncompressed DNG RAW all packed into a standard DSLR body.
Chronos 2.1-HD Ultra High-Speed Camera Highlights
- 4/3” Full HD CMOS image sensor with 2.1Gpx/s throughput
- Electronic Global shutter
- Dynamic range 10.3 stops (62.4 dB) (preliminary)
- Nikon F, Canon EF, Micro Four Thirds, and C mounts supported
- Base ISO 500 (Color), 1000 (Monochrome) sensitivity
- 5″ 800×480 1,000 nit touchscreen (multitouch, capacitive)
- Multiple RAM versions
- Internal Recording on an SD card, External Storage Option via USB and SATA interface
- H.264/MP4 recording format
- RAW video recording (Uncompressed DNG RAW)
- Bit depth 12-bit
- AC Adapter or battery
- Focus peaking highlights sharp edges for quick and perfect focus
- Network: Gigabit Ethernet
- Trigger Two Trigger inputs/frame strobe outputs (BNC and Aux)
- Audio* Microphone/Line input, headphone output
- Video HDMI monitor output
- USB USB type A (host) and micro B (device)
- SATA eSATA 3Gbps
- Low-noise variable speed fan – camera can run indefinitely without overheating
- Weight: 3.3lbs
- Dimensions: 155mm x 96mm x 67.3mm (6.11″ x 3.78″ x 2.65″)
- Price – $4,995
For more details and specs, head over to Kron Technologies’ official website here.
[source: Kron Technologies]
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!