It’s always fun when companies get disruptive with new designs that not can only outshine the competition, but can do it at a lower price. Aputure has done just that with the new Light Storm LS600C Pro COB RGB LED light, which, at about $2500, is nearly a third less than the ARRI Orbiter.
Heralded as Aputure’s first chip on board (COB) RGB LED light, the LS600C is similar in specs to their professional-grade 600D. The LS600C has been designed for cinematographers who are looking for complete control over the color range, while also being affordable and flexible enough to find itself on sets from small, low-budget films to larger sets working in virtual environments.
Aputure’s first-ever full-color point-source light fixture is built with sturdy, all-weather construction, and comes with support for Bowens Mounted accessories, custom color-blending optics, intense output, weather resistance, and professional level connectivity via Sidus Link, Art-net, and Wireless DMX protocols, with a maximum wireless range of around 100m.
With a LUX range of 4150 with an attached hyper reflector, the LS600C fits square between the daylight-balanced LS600D Pro (8500 Lux) and the LS300D II (3500 Lux).
But it brings along with it a much broader range of color gamut with which the gaffer can adjust both through dials on the device, or wirelessly through a smartphone app. With over 300 gel presets, and around a 90% color range, the LS600C also maintains a color temperature range of between 2,300K to 10,000K complete with flicker reduction.
The LS600C is powered by AC, or through optional V-Mount or Gold Mounted 48V batteries, though the controls do indicate that the light can be fed through smaller 14.4, 26, or 28.8-volt batteries at half power.
And a real nice feature is that the control box can also work double-time as a V-mount battery charger when connected via AC. Nice feature.
Here’s a complete breakdown of the specs:
- CCT – 2300-10,000K
- CRI – 95
- Beam Angle (No Accessories) – 93°
- LS 600 Series Hyper Reflector – 62°
- Max Power Output – 600W
- Lumens – 35,686
- Operating Voltage (Power Supply) – 100V~240V, 50Hz/60Hz
- Operating Voltage (Battery) – V-Mount / Gold Mount (Two Batteries) – Half Output 12.5V-16.8V (14.4V/15A) 22V-33.6V (26V/8.5A, 28.8V/7.5A)
- Operating Voltage (Battery) – V-Mount / Gold Mount (Two Batteries) – Full Output 22V-33.6V (26V/18A, 28.8V/16A)
- 3-Pin XLR (48V DC)
- Operating Temperature -20°C ~ 45°C / -4°F ~ 113°F
- Dimming 0-100%; Linear, Exponential, Logarithmic, S- Curve
- Control Methods On-board, Sidus Link App, 16-bit DMX512, Art- net & sACN via etherCON, LumenRadio CRMX
- Wireless Operating Range (Bluetooth) ≤80m; (LumenRadio) ≤100m
- Screen Type – LCD
- Cooling Method – Active Cooling
- Accessory Mount – Bowens Mount
- Tilt Angle – 360°
- Estimated LED Lifetime (L70) – 50,000H
- Est. Max Flicker-Free FPS 2,000 FPS
By keeping performance high and the price lower, Aputure continues to provide high-quality tools for content creators managing a tight budget. And the LS600C Pro looks to be no exception.
Pricing and availability:
Expected to ship in the Fall of 2022, the Aputure LS600C Pro is available for pre-order now for $2,490.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!