The Zoom H4n was without a doubt the most popular handy audio recorder for those shooting DSLR video in the heyday of the “DSLR revolution” 5-6 years ago, and despite its age, it’s still being used till this day. Sure, most video creators who started with DSLRs have moved on to proper Super 35 cameras, but for those who are riding the new wave of 4K mirrorless cameras such as the Sony A7sII, or still rocking the good old Canon 5D Mark III or Nikon DSLRs, Japanese audio gear maker Zoom has updated their classic H4n handy field recorder.
The new Zoom H4n Pro is far from just a cosmetic upgrade to the classic H4n; rather the opposite – the new H4n Pro features new and improved advanced microphones, high-performance improved mic pre-amps, and an extremely low noise floor of -120 dBu, enabling musicians and filmmakers to get high-quality four-track audio recording for music, video content, podcasting and just about everything in between.
The Zoom H4n Pro sports a new rubberized, ergonomic body designed to withstand quote a few bumps in the field. On the new H4n Pro version, Zoom have also added locking combo XLR connectors to ensure that your XLR cable stays in secure and avoiding accidental cable pulls, which was a problem on the previous version. A headphone/line out jack makes it easy to send high-definition stereo directly to a camera, while a built-in monophonic reference speaker provides quick audio reference in the field.
Zoom H4n Pro Features
- Four-track simultaneous recording
- High-fidelity mic preamps
- Built-in X/Y stereo microphones, adjustable between 90˚ & 120˚
- Record up to 140 dB SPL with X/Y microphones
- 2 x mic/line level inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Stereo 1/8″ Mic In mini phone jack
- +24 or +48V phantom power for main inputs and Plug-in power (2.5V) via Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- Output/headphone jack with dedicated volume control
- New rubberized and ergonomic body with improved 1.9 inch backlit LCD display
- Built-in reference speaker for fast playback
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32GB
- Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Onboard Mid-Side decoding
- Internal mixdown: four-track to stereo and stereo to dual mono
- Up to 99 marks per recording
- Built-in effects, including compression/limiting, low-cut filtering, modulation, reverb/delay and amp models
- Normalize (maximum gain) and Divide (file splitting) functions
- Chromatic tuner and metronome / Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150%, without affecting pitch
- Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- USB port for file transfer to and from computer
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
- Mounts to mic stand or tripod, or directly to DSLR with optional Hot-Shoe adapter
- Runs on 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries with up to 6 hours of operation (up to 10 hours in Stamina mode)
The H4n Pro also features three recording modes, built-in studio-grade effects, and the ability to function as a 2-input/2-output USB audio interface. The H4n Pro runs on 2 AA batteries, providing up to 6 hours in normal operation, or up to 10 hours when operating in STAMINA mode. An optional AD-14 AC adapter allows the H4n Pro to be powered from any standard wall outlet.
What’ s included in the box with the Zoom H4n Pro?
- Plastic Protective case
- 2 x AA batteries
- Operation manual
- Download license for Steinberg Cubase LE and WaveLab LE software
The H4n Pro accepts SD and SDHC cards up to 32 gigabytes. The charts below show maximum recording times for different file types and card sizes.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!