As more and more shooters start to receive their RED Raven cameras, there has been more and more awesome Raven footage popping up all over the web. The RED Raven has been shipping for the past couple of months and so far it is the most affordable and smallest RED camera to date and the entry level RED camera for those new to the RED ecosystem. The RED Raven features a 4.5K cut of the RED Dragon sensor (4,608 × 2,160) and is able to record at 3:1 compression in RED’s own Redcode Raw compressed raw codec. The camera has a fixed Canon EF mount and can record at a maximum of 120fps in 4.5K resolution as well as 240fps in 2K. Built-in Wi-Fi and simultaneous ProRes recording up to 2K/60p combined with a very compact 3.5 lbs form factor complete the package which has a lot of independent filmmakers excited about the creative possibilities the camera can give them.
Here’s a selection of some of the best latest RED Raven footage.
Bolero – a short film by Ivan D’Antonio (For english subtitles press “CC”)
Filmed with Red Raven,
- Cinema EOS Prime CN-E 50mm T1.3
- CN-E 24mm T1.5
- Zeiss Milvus 21mm f2.8, 35mm f2. Carl Zeiss Contax 35mm 2.8 T* Distagon.
Special thanks to: Panatronics, SmartSystem
Written and Directed by Ivan D’Antonio (ivandantonio.it)
Produced by StratoStudios
Cast: Danil Aceto, Marilisa Speca
Cinematography: Ivan D’Antonio
Music: Ivan D’Antonio
English translation: John Oslansky
2nd camera test for my Raven. Sunrise at one of the most photographed areas in Northeast Florida, Big Talbot Island.
Additionally, this served as a test for my friend, who just had his DJI Inspire fitted with the Zenmuse X5 camera.
The Raven handled surprisingly well in low light, and while I did get a bit of noise at 2K/240fps, particularly in the last shot, I don’t mind it at all. Compared to the noise on some Sony’s when at high speed, I think it looks great.
Please excuse the chromatic aberrations 😉
Shot on RED Raven and DJI Inspire equipped with the X5.
Lenses: Zeiss Distagon ZF 18mm, 35mm, and Canon 70-200mm
Music courtesy of MusicBed
Graded using Film Convert
RED Raven Features
- 4.5K Max Resolution (4,608 x 2,160)
- Near Super35 Sensor Size at 23.04mm x 10.8mm
- REDCODE RAW 3:1 24fps at max. resolution
- 4.5K/120fps Slow Motion (higher compression
- Fixed Dragon Standard OLPF
- Apple ProRes HQ 10bit 422 at 2K up to 60fps
- Non-removable/Fixed Canon EF Mount
- Recording Frame Rates
- 4.5K (4608 × 2160) up to 120 fps
- 4K (4096 × 2160) up to 120 fps
- 3K (3072 × 1620) up to 160 fps
- 2K (2048 × 1080) up to 240 fps
- ProRes 422 HQ up to 2K (2048 × 1080) and up to 60 fps
- ProRes 422 up to 2K (2048 × 1080) and up to 60 fps
- ProRes 422 LT up to 2K (2048 × 1080) and up to 60 fps
- Monitor outputs – 3G-SDI (HD-SDI) and HDMI with Expander Module
- Recording Media – RED MINI–MAG, 140 MB/s max data rate
- Remote Control – Built-in Wireless
- Weight – approx. 3.5 lbs (BRAIN with Media Bay and Canon Lens Mount)
Grading in DaVinci Resolve 12.5
Colorist Ciro Ascione For Hivel Studio
RED RAVEN 4.5K FF (4608×2160) 48 fps
I wanted to shoot with only the equipment that Red sent in my I/O package. So no sticks, all handheld. I also wanted to see how well the 15:1 compression held up when shooting 120fps at 4.5K, which in my opinion, it did remarkably well. The rest of the piece was filmed at 60fps in 4.5K, 8:1 compression. All shots used my 18mm Zeiss Distagon ZF. Pardon the extreme DOF, still need to replace my shattered variable ND 🙂 Absolutely in love with the image and dynamic range on this camera. Red have really made something special for people looking for a camera within the $10K range.
Music: Neil Halstead – Full Moon Rising
Graded using Film Convert
Uploaded in 4K downscaled from 4.5K
From all the footage above the Raven definitely shows a lot of promise and given the Dragon sensor pedigree, the advantages of dual Redcode Raw and ProRes plus Wi-Fi in the new DSMC2 bodies and the low price point given the specs, the Raven would seem like a no-brainer for many who want to join the RED Army.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!