Today was a really good day for Sony FS700, FS7 and FS5 owners as Atomos announced they are releasing the beta-version of the long-awaited CinemaDNG Raw support on their original Shogun 4K Recorder. In addition to this announcement, the Aussie gear maker also released AtomOS 6.6 – the latest firmware update for Shogun and HDMI-only Ninja Assassin owners, which gives the units HDR monitoring functions similar to those in the newer Flame series. As all Atomos firmware updates, this one is free as well for existing and future owners. You can read the details of the full update below:
AtomOS 6.6 Features for Shoguna & Ninja Assasssin:
- AtomHDR is now available on original Shogun
- HDR monitoring is supported on LOG cameras from Sony, Canon, ARRI, Panasonic, JVC and RED.
- Improvements have been made to colour gamut accuracy.
- Improvements to accuracy and resolution in blacks when using AtomHDR mode.
- A visual improvement has been made to the AtomHDR slider for easier access.
- While in AtomHDR mode, a simplified HDR waveform line has been added to easily set the correct slider position for the dynamic range of the scene.
- AtomHDR includes options for WFM Auto which automatically sets the HDR level for the current scene’s max brightness and WFM HDR which scales the WFM to view the HDR range to the full height of the WFM.
- The waveform monitor will now display a percentage scale based on the input log mode.
- Slow motion is now available in playback mode. Pausing video playback will automatically display the slider above playback controls and give you access to forward and reverse speed adjustments.
- Fixed an issue where some files exported from NLE’s did not play audio.
- Fixed an issue where waveform monitor graticules were not visible with some menus on the screen.
- Fixed an issue where monitor would sometimes appear jerky when panning at 1080p/60.
Here is a helpful video from Atomos on what to expect form the new HDR interface.
Here are a few words from Atomos on the beta version of the much-awaited CinemaDNG raw for FS cameras:
- This release contains ProRes and CinemaDNG codecs – for the DNX codec, please revert back to AtomOS 6.6 or later.
- CinemaDNG can be selected via the codec menu.
- CinemaDNG support is for Sony Raw only (FS700, FS5 and FS7). No other cameras are supported in the Beta.
- The recommended SSD for recording CinemaDNG is the Sandisk Extreme Pro (240GB, 480GB and 960GB).
- No playback or preview is available for CinemaDNG images.
- Metadata tagging has no effect in CinemaDNG.
- Look LUT loop out and burn in do no work for CinemaDNG.
- Images in Adobe Premier will appear with a green colour shift and need to be adjusted.
Before downloading the CinemaDNG Raw beta for Shogun you should know:
- This beta is not intended for use in a commercial environment
- This is intended for Shogun users only
- CinemaDNG beta is only supported on Sony FS raw
- Avid DNxHD/HR isn’t supported in this beta
- Sandisk Extreme Pro recommended for recording
- Images will have a green color shift in Adobe Premiere (known issue in beta)
- Other bugs may be present in this release
- Support isn’t provided for this beta
- Revert back to AtomOS 6.6 or later to restore your Shogun’s original features
AtomOS 6.6 CinemaDNG Beta 2 for Shogun FAQ
- What is the beta?
This is a pre-release of our CDNG for Shogun and will allow users to record the Raw output from select FS series Sony cameras to the CDNG format.
- Should I use it?
The beta is open to anyone with a Shogun however this release should only be used for testing and not for commercial purposes.
- What cameras are support?
For the beta, Sony FS7, FS5 and F700. Ensure your firmware is up-to-date on these devices and you have the cameraâ€™s raw firmware installed.
- What media can I use to record CDNG?
SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD (SDSSDXPS)
What are the limitations of the beta?
- Recording for AVID DNxHD/HR has been disabled.
- There is no playback of CDNG files on the Shogun.
- No Loop Out in CDNG mode.
- Tagging isn’t available.
- Pre-record can not be activated.
- When using Adobe Premiere, images will have a green color shift and will need to be corrected.
- Other bugs may be present.
- Does this void my warranty by installing the beta?
No. However there will not be support for release and running the beta is voluntary.
- How do I revert back to shipping version of AtomOS?
Users may revert back to AtomOS 6.6 at any time. Simply download the current release from our support site and copy the firmware file onto an SSD.
- Can I provide feedback about the beta?
Yes, you can send feedback to our support team, however because this is a beta, the team will not be able to support or respond to any tickets.
- My raw camera isn’t listed, when is support for that coming?
For the beta, only Sony FS raw cameras will be supported.
BLACK FRIDAY SALE! Get the ULTIMATE RESOLVE COURSE BUNDLE for just $97! Limited Time Offer!