The first half of 2017 will undoubtedly belong to the Panasonic GH5. One of the most anticipated releases of 2017 was announced just a week ago in Las Vegas at the start of CES 2017 and is due to start shipping end of March. The pre-release hype for this camera has reached epic proportions and quite a few image creators are wondering how the 4K and Full HD footage holds up in the grade, especially the 10bit 4:2:2. It is worth to note that upon release the GH5 will record in IPB (Long GOP) only at 150 Mbps, with the ALL-Intra update in Full HD to be released in April, and 4K at 400 Mbps 10bit 4:2:2 free firmware update later in July 2017.
So for those of you wondering how the GH5 footage holds up in the edit and want to do your own grade of some 4K and Full HD 180fps slow-motion Panasonic GH5 footage you need to thank Luke Neumann from Neumann Films, who has posted some downloadable footage via links on his YouTube channel.
Here is the Panasonic GH5 promo shot by Luke Neumann
Behind the Scenes
Panasonic GH5: “Bored” (Downloadable Footage – 180fps via link here)
Shot in VLog-L at different ISO values to test the breaking points. Sigma 24mm Art at 1.4 most of the time. Some clips also on 12-35mm Lumix f 2.8 (v1) Filmed by: Marika Neumann, Jamie Dryden, Pete Dryden, and Luke Neumann
Panasonic GH5 ISO Test by Neumann Films
Panasonic GH5 Downloadable Footage – link here
Panasonic GH5 Features/Specs
- New 20.3 Megapixel CMOS (4/3 type) sensor
- Micro Four Thirds mount
- 5-Axis Photo/Video Dual I.S. 2.0 up to 5 stops with compatible LUMIX MFT lenses
- ISO 25,600 max
- Eye viewfinder 3680k-dot OLED, 21mm, 0.76x.
- V-Log L is an optional (paid) extra, same as GH4 – $98
- Cinelike-V, Cinelike-D, and Like-709 Picture Profiles
- Waveform and Vector Scope Built-in
- Weather Sealed Body
- Splash/Dust proof Rugged Design
- Freeze-proof to -10 Degrees C
- 6K Photo capture at 30p for 18 Megapixel photos
- 4K/60p Photo capture for approx. 8 megapixel images
- 4K/60p is at 8bit 4:2:0 internally
- No crop in 4K!
- 4K/24/25 and 30p 10bit 4:2:2 internal
- 4K/60p at 150Mb/s at launch
- ALL-I (Intra) 10bit 422 1080p at 200 Mbps – free firmware update later in year
- ALL-I (Intra) 10bit 422 4K at 400 Mbps – free firmware update later in 2017
- Anamorphic mode (4:3) – free firmware later in year
- 1080p Slow-motion at 180fps
- 2 x SD card slots (UHS-II U3 compliant)
- Full-size HDMI output (Type-A)
- USB-C (USB 3.1)
- 225-Area Advanced Depth-From-Defocus AF System
- Weight: 725 grams with battery and SD card
- Same battery as GH4 – DMW-BLF19
- DMW-XLR1 XLR Hot-Shoe Audio Expansion Unit – $400
- Available End of March 2017
- Price: $1,998
- Pre-order B&H
I personally am quite impressed with the footage from this camera, at least from what I’ve seen online. I am going to give the downloadable footage a spin in Adobe Premiere and give it a basic grade, but from what others have already done online, it’s quite impressive, even if it is IPB only at this stage. Once we get 10bit 422 at 400 Mbps, then we’d even more room to play in the grade.
- Panasonic GH5 Body Only – B&H/Amazon US/Wex UK
- GH5 DMW-XLR1 XLR audio hot-shoe adapter – B&H
- GH5 DMW-BGGH5 Battery Grip – B&H/Adorama
New Panasonic Lenses for GH5:
- Lumix G Vario 45-200mm f/4-5.6 II Power O.I.S. – B&H/Adorama
- Lumix G Vario 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6 II Power O.I.S – B&H/Adorama
- Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm F/2.8 II Aspherical Power O.I.S. B&H/Adorama
- Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm f/2.8 II ASPH – B&H/Adorama
- Lumix G Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm F/2.8-4.0 Aspherical Power O.I.S. – B&H
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!