Metabones just released a much needed firmware update, which finally adds support for the Panasonic GH5. No more fiddling with the aperture button on the side of the adapter, turning on and off, and all that. Metabones firmware v2.7 for Micro Four thirds adapters and E-Mount firmware v0.56 was released earlier today also adding support for the Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S lens to Metabones EF mount Speed Boosters and Smart Adapters.
Servo zoom can now be controlled using the wide-tele zoom rocker on supported cameras like the JVC GY-LS300, with a touch screen interface (most Panasonic cameras), or from PlayMemories Mobile App for Sony cameras.
I updated my Metabones EF to MFT Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x and used it on a job today (you can see a pic of my setup below) with my Canon 24-105mm f4 and can confirm that the firmware works. I was able to move throughout the zoom range, aperture, stabilisation and even AF worked.
Metabones Firmware 2.7 (for MFT) and (v0.56 for E-mount) Highlights:
- Adds Panasonic GH5 support
- User selectable optical image stabilization
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization (No dual I.S.)
- Fast contrast detection autofocus (no DFD)
- Smooth iris (requires lens support) and detailed EXIF
- Support servo zoom, autofocus and Auto Iris with Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 now supported on
- Panasonic (but not Olympus)
- AF function may require external 5V power supply into the micro USB port of the Speed Booster/Smart Adapter.
- GX7 and Lumix GX8 may choose IBIS for still photo and OIS for motion picture by setting the IS switch of the lens OFF, turn on the camera, and then turn on the IS switch of the lens.
- Improves smooth iris response time with Tamron SP 15-30/2.8 VC USD A012.
- An irreversible change will be made to the following products which limits the ability to downgrade to version 2.65 but not any further back, even if you have a copy of an older version of the Metabones App:
- Canon EF-BMCC T Speed Booster Adapter:
- Model number MB_SPEF-BMCC-BM1/MB_SPEF-BMCC-BT1
- Canon EF-BMPCC T Speed Booster Adapter
- Canon EF-Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster
- Canon EF-Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster S
- Canon EF-Micro Four Thirds T Speed Booster XL 0.64x Adapter
- Canon EF-BMCC T Speed Booster Adapter:
Metabones Firmware v0.56 for EF to E Mount
- Fixed issue with SteadyShot icon on LCD display of the camera not corresponding to IS switch of Tamron 150-600/5-6.3 VC USD A011 when “choose between OIS and IBIS automatically” is chosen.
- Fixed blackout issue with A7s running Time Lapse application.
- Fixed issue with certain full frame lenses misidentified as cropped lenses (but the reverse may still occur).
- Auto iris, servo zoom, autofocus and custom function button support for CN-E 18-80 T4.4L lens
- Except Mark I/II/III and original Speed Booster!.
- Compatibility fix for Contax N lenses modified by Conurus Canada on CINE Smart Adapter, CINE Speed Booster, Mark V and Speed Booster ULTRA II.
A bit if a sidetrack, but for those that care about how 180fps super-slow motion looks on the GH5, check out my super-quick and non-scientific test footage below I shot recently.
For supported Sony cameras, the Record button on the grip of the Cinema EOS CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S lens can be assigned to one of more than 50 functions on the A7 series and other supported cameras.
By assigning it to the MOVIE function, the user may start/stop recording and zoom with the lens’ hand grip which is handy for a small-form-factor camera like the Sony A7R II.
Whereas a typical EF mount lens changes the iris at 1/8 stop granularity, a Cinema EOS lens permits much finer control. Metabones takes advantage of this improved precision resulting in footages in which auto iris movements are virtually imperceptible.
Autofocus is supported, but to set expectations properly, AF performance of a supported Cinema EOS lens on a non-Canon camera is significantly below that of a Cinema EOS camera (i.e. Canon C100 Mark II or C300 II) equipped with DPAF.
Important notice: Not every Cinema EOS lens supports every feature. At the time of writing only Canon CN-E 18-80 T4.4 L IS KAS S supports auto iris, autofocus and servo zoom.
Both firmware updates are available to download from Metabones.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!