Blackmagic Design have announced a new firmware update for their URSA Mini cameras. The latest software update from the Australian camera and post-production accessories manufacturer adds support for the new Blackmagic URSA Mini SSD recorder which records Raw or ProRes onto SSDs. Blackmagic Camera 4.5 update improves SDI output latency to less than 1 frame for URSA Mini Pro as well as lowering LCD monitoring latency. Camera operators, who prefer to also use more traditional broadcast lens, will be glad to hear that Camera Update 4.5 improves support for B4 lenses as well as fixing focus and iris control bugs with some Cannon lenses in addition to other improvements listed a bit further below.
The optional Blackmagic URSA Mini SSD Recorder is a great alternative for long-form recordings, where CFast 2.0 media can get both expensive and insufficient in terms of capacity. The URSA Mini SSD recorder lets you record Cinema DNG or ProRes files onto standard 2.5” SSD Media with your URSA Mini Pro camera.
Unlike other types of cards, SSD media is super fast so you can record full resolution 4K and 4.6K 12-bit RAW files. Plus, SSD media comes in much larger sizes so you can record longer without having to change cards. The unique design of the Blackmagic URSA Mini SSD Recorder attaches directly to the back of your URSA Mini Pro between the camera and the battery. It uses 6G-SDI as a data link to the camera so you don’t have to worry about starting or stopping the SSD recorder. Everything is setup and controlled directly from the camera.
Blackmagic Camera Setup 4.5
- New support for Blackmagic URSA Mini SSD Recorder.
New Features for URSA Mini SSD Recorder
- Added RAW & ProRes record capability to SSD Recorder.
- Added playback capability from SSD Recorder.
- Added SDI and SSD status LED indicators.
- Added ability to use 1TB, 2TB and 4TB SSD’s.
New Features for Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K
- Added support for URSA Mini SSD Recorder.
- Added user interface information for SSD Recorder in media status page.
- Lowers SDI output latency to less than 1 frame for live production.
- Lowers LCD monitoring latency.
- Added Program Audio option for prioritising return audio in headset.
- Improved support for B4 lenses.
- Fixed focus control on Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM and USM lenses.
- Fixed iris control on Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM zoom lens.
- Fixed bug where audio levels reset after power cycling.
- Fixed bug where lens change was not recognised in metadata if powered off.
- Updated URSA Mini Manual to include SSD Recorder and F Mount instructions.
Minimum system requirements for Mac OS X
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 or better
- macOS Sierra 10.12 or better
- Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11 or better
- A suitable USB 2.0 port
- Thunderbolt port for UltraScope and Media Express when using Blackmagic Cinema Camera or Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
Minimum system requirements for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
- A suitable USB 2.0 port
- A suitable Thunderbolt port when using Blackmagic Cinema Camera or Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
The Blackmagic URSA Mini SSD Recorder is not to be confused with the Atoch C2S CFast to SSD Solution, which already exists on the market, but is more expensive at $600 USD, compared to the Blackmagic made SSD recorder, which is available (shipping soon) for $395 and £295 respectively.
If you are a URSA Mini or Pro owner, head over to Blackmagic Design’s support website here to download Camera Update 4.5 for free.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!