Firmware version 3.1.2 is so packed with new features and improvements, that SmallHD are calling it OS3. You can find all the particular details a bit further down below in this post, but this firmware sure is a doozy. Major new updates include a new autonomous calibration feature that lets you calibrate your SmallHD monitor without the use of a computer. This can be very helpful when out in the field.
False Colour also gets a massive new update – with the ability to fully customize how you want to expose your image given user defined IRE ranges. False Colour is a very common preferred way to view your image and adjust exposure, so all you DPs out there who prefer your false colour to a waveform monitor or zebras, you now have the ability to tailor your favourite exposure tool to your liking.
Speaking of the waveform, SmallHD have now added a spot meter in this function, which is also quite helpful. However, for me personally as a SmallHD Focus owner, the addition of a proper percentage based battery indicator is a huge improvement – since I am not used to reading a battery by voltage (i.e. as in RED cameras for example), and I am sure many of out there will appreciate getting a simpler percentage battery readout instead of a voltage indicator.
What’s New in SmallHD OS3 Firmware ver.3.1.2:
- Auto-Calibration – Utilize official SmallHD colour probe to auto calibrate your monitor
- Auto Calibration can be cancelled at any time
- Auto Calibration shows a progress bar at the top of the display
- Once finished, the user can toggle between the new and old calibration before accepting the new one
- Fully Customizable False Colour (Exposure Assist)
- When selecting a exposure assist tool options for a “map1, map2, map3” are now selectable
- User can create a custom false colour for each map
- Each map can have up to 10 user defined IRE ranges, and every IRE range’s highlight colour can be configured individually
- User may delete and modify defined IRE ranges and highlight colours at any time
- Spot Metering in LUMA Waveform
- Select a location on the on-screen image and see highlighted data for selection
- Spot Metering box size is customizable
- Image Gallery Viewer
- Image files are now displayed in thumbnail form instead of list form
- The size of the thumbnails can be modified
- The files can be sorted in either increasing or decreasing order by Name OR Date
- A new element called “Image Gallery” has been added to settings->capture to allow users to peruse their removable media storage at any time, even when no video signal is present
- Adjustable White Point – The user can select a non-standard white point for their input space
- The supported white points are:
- 3000K, 5000K, 5600K, 9300K
- When loading a 3D calibration LUT, the user can now specify the white point the calibration LUT targets separately from the color space that LUT targets
- The White Point targeted by Auto Calibration can be configured in the same way
- The supported white points are:
- SmallHD FOCUS monitors will now accept 4K/30p video input via HDMI
How to Update a SmallHD monitor
Important: Make sure you do not lose power during firmware update
- 1. Download the latest .bin file version 3.1.2
- 2. Drag and drop .bin file from download onto your SD card
- (Must be 16gb or smaller – FAT or FAT32 for Windows, MS-DOS (FAT) for Mac)
- 3. Remove SD Card from computer or card reader attached to computer
- 4. Insert SD card into your SmallHD monitor
- 5. Turn on your monitor
- 6. Swipe or toggle left to right on your monitor all the way to the monitor’s Settings Menu
- 7. Select Firmware Update in Settings Menu and follow on-screen prompts
- 8. Once the firmware is installed and the on-screen prompts tell you to reboot your monitor:
- Hold down the power button for at least 5 seconds and then release.
- 9. Press the power button again to begin operating your monitor with the new firmware installed.
Here’s a neat explainer video that SmallHD has prepared demonstrating Auto Calibration in SmallHD OS3 firmware 3.1.2:
To download SmallHD firmware OS3 ver. 3.1.2 head over to SmallHD here.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!