What a day! Blackmagic Design has just added another member to the URSA camera lineup. The brand new URSA Broadcast is billed as an advanced broadcast camera for ENG and programming work, as well as a professional studio camera all in one. It records onto inexpensive standard SD cards, UHS-II cards and CFast cards, and captures 1080i or 2160p video while using 10‑bit broadcast quality DNxHD 220X, DNxHD 145 or ProRes codecs as well as lossless 12‑bit CinemaDNG RAW.
The camera comes equipped with a 2/3″ sensor (13.056mm x 7.344mm) and ships with a B4 mount for ENG-style lenses. Optional EF, F and PL lens mounts are also available. In essence, the newcomer provides all well-known capabilities and features of the existing URSA cameras. It also supports the Blackmagic Design’s new line of accessories that are specifically designed to work with it in a broadcast environment.
According to Blackmagic Design, the URSA Broadcast sports a high-quality 4K image sensor and a new extended video mode with better dynamic range and color fidelity. The sensor is designed to capture both HD and Ultra HD footage that can be used without additional color correction.
The camera also sports traditional external controls and buttons, 4-inch foldout touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings, built-in optical ND filters, dual CFast and dual SD card recorders. You’ll also find all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 12G‑SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4-pin 12V DC power connection.
Blackmagic Design URSA Broadcast Specifications
- 2/3″ 4K sensor (13.056mm x 7.344mm)
- Extended video dynamic range, traditional external controls and buttons, built in optical ND filters, dual CFast and dual SD card recorders.
- Advanced HD and Ultra HD broadcast camera with ⅔” B4 mount.
- New extended video mode with better dynamic range and color fidelity
- Full electronic B4 lens control support for adjusting focus, iris and zoom
- Built-in dual SD/UHS-II and CFast card recorders
- Records 1080i or 2160p video into standard .mov files using DNx145, DNx220X or ProRes
- Support for DNxHD 220X, DNxHD 145, Apple ProRes 4444 XQ QuickTime, ProRes 4444 QuickTime, ProRes 422 HQ QuickTime, ProRes 422 QuickTime, ProRes 422 LT QuickTime and ProRes 422 Proxy QuickTime, CinemaDNG RAW, CinemaDNG RAW 3:1, CinemaDNG RAW 4:1.
- High quality clear, 1/4, 1/16th and 1/64th stop neutral density (ND) filters with IR compensation
- Fully redundant controls
- Interchangeable lens mount with B4 mount included as standard. Optional EF, PL and F mount available separately.
- Features all standard connections of the URSA camera line
- Built-in high-quality stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 4-inch foldout touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings.
- Blackmagic SDI Control Protocol for external control or iPad control via Bluetooth®, 2 x 2.5mm LANC for lens and record control.
Blackmagic URSA Broadcast Accessories
- Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter.
- Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter.
- ATEM Camera Control Panel (available May/June 2018).
- Blackmagic URSA Broadcast Shoulder Kit features built-in rosettes, rail mounts, viewfinder mount, integrated tripod quick lock release and top handle.
- Blackmagic URSA Viewfinder is a high-resolution viewfinder that includes a full HD OLED display and true glass optics for perfect focus.
- Blackmagic URSA Studio Viewfinder featuring 7” screen, variable tension mounting points, easy grip handles, external controls and more.
- URSA VLock Battery Plate provides a VLock compatible plate for attaching third-party batteries.
- Interchangeable EF, F and PL lens mounts.
Best of all, the URSA Broadcast camera is available now from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide retailing for $3,495.
[source: Blackmagic Design]
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!