The CP+ 2018 imaging and photography trade show is about to kick-off in just a couple of days in Japan, prompting lens makers to get their new product announcements as early as possible to avoid getting lost in the shuffle on opening day. We’ve already posted about the new EOS M50 4K mirrorless camera from Canon (read about it here), and now it’s time for some new lenses.
Venus Optics have been pumping out some stellar and very aggressively priced lenses such as the mega-wide angle manual prime Laowa 7.5mm f2.0 for Micro Four thirds, and the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D Ultra Wide, which we wrote about here. And now, the company are announcing a new, ultra compact Laowa 9mm f2.8 Zero-D wide-angle prime and a Laowa 25mm f2.8 5x Macro lens.
For all of us, who’ve ever shot with Micro Four thirds cameras, getting a decent wide-angle prime lens usually involves spending quite a few $$$, and while this has not been such a problem for Sony E mount and Fuji X cameras due to their larger sensor, the Laowa 9mm f2.8 Zero-D was precisely designed to satisfy the ultra wide-angle requirement for the E-mount/X-mount and Canon EF-M mirrorless market and corresponding compact mirrorless cameras such as the Panasonic GH5 or the new Fuji X-H1.
The Laowa 9mm f2.8 has the Zero-D (zero distortion) designation thanks to the two aspherical elements, making the lens, according to Venus Optics, perfect for architecture and landscape photography. The lens is likely to be priced at around $500 USD and ship sometime in April.
Laowa 9mm f2.8 Zero-D Specs/Highlights
- Focal length: 9 mm
- Maximum aperture: f/2.8
- Viewing angle: 113 degrees
- Designed for APS-C sensors in mirrorless cameras
- 3 special low dispersion lenses (ED lens)
- 2 glass aspherical lenses
- Lens construction: 10 groups of 15
- Number of diaphragm blades: 7
- Shortest shooting distance: 12 cm
- Maximum magnification: 0.13 times
- Front Filter diameter: 49 mm
- Weight: 215 grams (Variable depending on mount)
- Lens mounts:
- Fujifilm X
- Canon EF-M
- Sony E mount
- Price: TBD (rumoured $499 according to Fujirumors)
Venus Optics’ second new offering is the Laowa 25mm 2.8 2.5-5.0x Macro lens, which will be available in Canon EF, Nikon, Pentax K, and Sony FE mounts and designed for full-frame macro photography. The Laowa 25mm f2.8 5x macro features Ultra Low-Dispersion lens elements to minimize CA and fringing, as well as multi-coating on various optical elements to eliminate glare and ghosting artifacts.
Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5-5x Macro Highlights
- 2.5 to 5.0x magnification
- Designed for Full-Frame sensors
- The shortest focus distance is 173 to 223.5mm
- Ultra low-dispersion lens (UD lens) to suppress chromatic aberration and colour fringing
- Multilayer coating to minimize ghost and flare
- Robust metal design
- Price: TBD
- Available: April 2018
- Focal length: 25 mm
- Open F value: F 2.8
- Field of View: 10.3 degrees
- Lens construction: 6 groups 8 pieces
- Minimum aperture: f/16
- Maximum aperture: f/2.8
- Shortest focus distance: 173 mm to 223.5 mm
- Working Distance: 40 mm – 45 mm
- Shooting magnification: 2.5 times to 5 times
- Number of diaphragm blade: 8
- Weight: 400 g
- Available lens mounts:
- Canon EF
- Nikon F
- Pentax K
- Sony FE
The official price for the Laowa macro has not yet been announced, but the lens is expected to ship in April.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!