After the official kickoff of the 6K acquisition race with the recent announcements of the Pocket 6K, MAVO 6K, and Panasonic S1H, it has been reported that Canon will also join the party with the EOS 1D X Mark III. The flagship DSLR announcement is expected in 2020 before the Tokyo Olympics, a report suggests.
According to Canon Rumors, the 1D X Mark III will arrive in 2020 with a few very exciting specs including brand new DIGIC processor, built-in IBIS, dual CFExpress cards, and much more.
Considering that Canon EOS-1D X Mark II was released in Feb 2016 and its predecessor roughly four years before that, this rumor makes some sense. Interestingly enough, the CR’s source who seems to have hands-on experience with a 1D X Mark III prototype, confirms that the newcomer will have in-body image stabilization alongside “significant jump in resolution for an EOS-1 series camera”.
Last but not least, according to the CR report, the flagship DSLR with boast the ability to shoot 6K video without a crop which also implies that 4K/60p video almost certainly will be available as a recording option.
Canon 1DX Mark III Leaked Specs
- It’s likely the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III will shoot 6K video without a crop.
- Dual CFExpress cards are in the prototype models and will likely make it to the production version.
- There will be a “significant jump in resolution for an EOS-1 series camera”. The EOS-1D X was 18.1MP and the EOS-1D X Mark II came in at 20.2MP. So I guess anything over a 20MP bump could be considered “significant” to some.
- New DIGIC processor. Canon doesn’t usually introduce a new DIGIC processor in the EOS-1D series, but that will apparently change this time.
- IBIS is in prototype cameras
- Availability: Q1/Q2 2020
Meanwhile, the Canon 1DX II currently sells with $500 off the original price, which could also be another indication referring to the imminent announcement, but again, since this report is pure speculation for the moment, I would take it with a grain of salt.
[source: Canon Rumors]
B&H Order Link:
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II DSLR Camera (Body Only)