Just a few days ago, I wrote about the new Portkeys P6 budget HDMI on-camera monitor, that you can pickup for less than $200, and now Portkeys has also announced a new and exciting piece of kit that will be on my folks’ Christmas season wish list for sure.
The new Portkeys universal Multi-function handgrip has been in development for over a year and features programmable control for all sorts of cameras including those from RED, Canon, Sony, Blackmagic Design, Z CAM and more.
Construction features a milled aluminium frame, a red oak handle with an artificial leather strap. The multi-function grip has a 0.9-inch OLED display on the inner side, and also features a built-in Bluetooth and WiFi control module, which can connect to supported cameras directly without the need to use a smartphone or a mobile phone network.
The unit also has a Built-in LANC splitter to interface with the Portkeys BM5 on-camera monitor (with the additional bluetooth module). The unit also has an ergonomic 9-way joystick as well as a REC button and a focus wheel.
Which Cameras Can Portkeys Handgrip Control?
Sony a9, a6000, a6300, a6400, a6500, RX100, RXII:
- Wired control for:
- Rec, Iris, ISO, Shutter, Stills, Zoom, AF
Sony A7II, A7III, A7IV:
- Must be used together with the power supply control component.
- This control component can ensure that the HDMI image will not be black screen during recording.
- This will be sold separately, no price yet.
Sony FS5, FS7:
- Wired control for
- Rec, Iris, Zoom, Focus,
- Digital Zoom, Display, Joystick, Playback.
Canon 1D-X Mark II, Canon 5DS, Canon 5DS R, Canon EOS R, Canon 5D Mark IV, 5D Mk III, 5D II, 6D MkII, 6D, 80D:
- Wired control:
- Rec, Iris, ISO, Shutter, Stills, Auto Focus
Canon C700 PL, GS PL, C300 Mark II, C200, C200 B, C100, C100 Mark II:
- Rec, Iris, Focus, Digital Zoom, Display, Joystick, Playback
Blackmagic Pocket 4K and 6K Cameras:
- Remote control REC, IRIS, ISO, SHUTTER, ZOOM, FOCUS, AUTO EXPOSURE,
- WHITE BALANCE MODE SELECTION, PROJECT FRAME RATE,
- CODEC and QUALITY, OFF SPEED FRAME RATE, OFF SPEED RECORDING
Blackmagic URSA Mini and BMPCC:
- Wired control
- REC, IRIS, AUTO FOCUS, Manual FOCUS.
Z CAM E2, E2-S6, E2-F6:
- Wired control:
- REC, IRIS, ISO, SHUTTER (angle/speed),
- ZOOM, TOUCH FOCUS, Manual AUTO MODE SWITCHING,
- RESOLUTION FRAME, Manual FRAME, PLAYBACK
TILTA Nucleus N and M
- Wired control – CAL RUN, AB LIMIT on Nucleus N/M.
RED Cameras (DSMC2 probably, not specified)
- Wired control:
- REC, AV, ISO, SHUTTER, FOCUS
- ZOOM, PLAYBACK
- It need to be used together with the power supply control component.
- This control component sold separately.
Portkeys Multi-function Handgrip Control Features
- Aircraft grade milled aluminium frame
- Red oak handle, artificial leather strap.
- Programmable control for various cameras
- Canon, Sony, Panasonic, BMD, Z CAM, RED
- Built-in Bluetooth and WiFi control module
- Built-in LANC splitter
- supports Portkeys BM5 monitor
- Battery voltage display.
- Reverse polarity battery protection
- Powered via 2x 18650 batteries
- Wired control and power supply for Tilta Nucleus N/M follow focus
- RED camera control
- this will be sold separately
- Firmware upgrades via USB
- Promo price (22nd Feb 2020) $299/$399 after
- Ships March 2020
Portkeys are also inviting filmmakers and future users to submit naming suggestions for their new Multi-function handgrip over on their official Facebook page here.
The Portkeys Multi-function handgrip is now available to pre-order at a special discounted price of $299 USD ($399 after promo period) from December 23rd to February 22nd, 2020. Shipping is estimated for March 2020.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!