While many folks are eagerly waiting to get their hands on the upcoming RED Komodo 6K camera, the president and co-owner of RED Digital Cinema Jarred Land has recently shared some new RED Komodo footage on his Facebook profile.
In the short clip below shot by Land himself, you can see Brad Pitt announcing the classic Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid flick for the AFI Movie Club. The video was published just three days ago on American Film Institute YoutTube channel and now it’s officially confirmed that it was exclusively shot on the RED Komodo 6K.
Billed as the most affordable RED camera to date, the highly anticipated RED Komodo sports a brand new S35 6K sensor measuring at 27.03mm x 14.25mm (6144 x 3240). All internals are encased in a small and compact cube-like camera body with a fixed Canon RF mount.
The newcomer will also provide Anamorphic support, a plethora of REDCODE Raw recording options up to 6K/40fps utilizing the full sensor size alongside phase-detect autofocus support and global shutter mode.
Other noteworthy features include top touchscreen menu and live-view display, CFast 2.0 recording media, 4K SDI input, 3.5mm audio in, headphone jack, Wi-Fi capabilities for remote camera control and more.
RED Komodo 6K Highlights
- RED Komodo 6K Super35 sensor
- 27.03mm x 14.25mm (6144 x 3240)
- Fixed Canon RF mount
- RF to EF (and PL) adapters available
- many more adapter options
- Phase-detect Autofocus support
- There will be some sort of Global Shutter Mode
- 6K/40fps full-sensor; 6K WS at 50fps
- in Global Shutter Mode
- REDCODE Raw recording options
- Anamorphic support
- CFast 2.0 recording media
- first RED camera to use non-proprietary media
- Komodo is both the name of the new sensor and camera body
- Komodo is not DSMC2 or replacement for it
- Not DSMC3 either: it’s an auxiliary camera in the lineup
- 4K SDI output (can be 6G or 12G-SDI, that’s TBD)
- 3.5mm audio in, headphone jack
- 2 x Canon BP style battery slots, hot-swappable
- Top touchscreen menu and live-view display
- Wi-Fi for remote camera control and monitoring
- Cube-like form-factor, smallest RED camera to date
- Release sometime in 2020
- Price: $5K-6K or slightly more
Meanwhile, RED Komodo 6K was recently spotted on set of an upcoming Soderbergh film, so hopefully, there will be some new details regarding the official release date of the camera any day now with the first production models hitting the market soon after that.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!