Previously teased a couple of weeks ago, the brand new Panasonic DC-S5 is now officially announced. The newcomer comes with a 24.2MP sensor offering 14+ stops of dynamic range while bringing 5-axis sensor-shift stabilization, Dual Native ISO, Face, Eye, Body, and Animal autofocus tracking, exposure and focus bracketing, and much more.
Where this camera really shines, though, is in the video department. The Panasonic S5 shoots 4K UHD 10-bit internal video up to 30fps using the full size of the sensor as well as 4K UHD video up to 60fps in APS-C mode with LongGOP compression. If that isn’t enough, the available HDMI port offers 10-bit 4:2:2 output, so you can hook it up to an external recorder and shoot ProRes or DNx with even higher image quality.
In terms of physical design, the S5 borrows elements from the larger S1-series of cameras but has a smaller footprint and lighter weight profile for improved portability.
The entry-level mirrorless camera incorporated a 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder and a free-angle 3.0″ 1.84m-dot touchscreen LCD, and it has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless connectivity. Dual SD memory card slots are featured, too, for flexible file storage and the body also has a splash- and dust-sealed design for working in trying conditions.
The unit uses DMW-BLK22 rechargeable lithium-ion battery that is rated for approximately 440 shots per charge when working with the rear monitor, 470 shots per charge with the EVF, and 1500 shots per charge when Power Save LVF mode is on.
Utilizing the S5’s video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are also available for recording continuous 3:2 or 4:3 8MP stills at a 60 or 30 fps shooting rate or 18MP stills at a 30 fps shooting rate. In addition to conventional 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 16:9 ratios, photos can also be recorded in 65:24 and 2:1 panoramic formats.
The available Photo Style modes on the DC-S5 include Standard, Vivid, Natural, Flat, Landscape, Portrait, Monochrome, L. Monochrome, L. Monochrome D, Cinelike D, Cinelike V, Like709, Standard (HLG), Monochrome (HLG), Like2100, and My Photo Style.
Panasonic DC-S5 Highlights
- 24.2-megapixel Full-Frame Sensor
- 14+ stops of dynamic range
- 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) up to 29.97fps, 150Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit LongGOP) / 100Mbps (4:2:0 8-bit LongGOP) in Full-Frame
- FullHD (1920 x 1080) up to 59.94fps, 100Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit LongGOP) / 100Mbps (4:2:0 8-bit LongGOP) APS-C / Pixel by Pixel
- 4K UHD up to 59.94fps, 200Mbps (4:2:0 10-bit LongGOP) in APS-C mode
- 4K UHD up to 29.97fps, 150Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit LongGOP) / 100Mbps (4:2:0 8-bit LongGOP)
- 4K Anamorphic up to 29.97fps, 150Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit LongGOP) / 100Mbps (4:2:0 8-bit LongGOP)
- Full HD (1920 x 1080) at up to 180fps, 24Mbps (4:2:0 8-Bit LongGOP)
- Auto and Manual focus
- ISO range: 100-51,200 (50-204,800 extended)
- Flip out 1.84m-dot 3″ touchscreen TFT LCD
- 2.36m-dot OLED viewfinder
- Face, Eye, Body, and Animal autofocus tracking
- 5-Axis sensor shift (5 stops) / Dual IS (6.5 stops)
- 10-bit 4:2:2 output over HDMI
- Exposure and focus bracketing
- Dimensions: 132.6 x 97.1 x 81.9 mm approx.
- Weight: 630g body only / 714g with battery and SD card
- Price: $1,997.99
Other noteworthy features include High-Resolution mode, DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology, Dual I.S. 2, 3.5mm microphone and headphone jacks, USB Type-C port, and HDMI out. The Panasonic DC-S5 is already available to pre-order selling for $1,997.99.
B&H Pre-Order Link:
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!