With the just-released firmware version 3.20, the Nikon Z6 and Z7 can now record Blackmagic RAW externally when tethered with a compatible Blackmagic Design Video Assist monitor/recorder. Furthermore, the RAW output of both cameras includes metadata for ProRes RAW recording which gives users access to ISO and color temperature RAW controls in the latest version of FCP (10.4.9 or higher).
Additionally, there’s a new version of Nikon Webcam Utility released which adds support for macOS Big Sur and Apple Silicon. Webcam Utility will function as a universal plugin on Apple Silicon machines and will run as an Apple Silicon native app in the universal version of Chrome. Here’s everything you will get with the latest Nikon firmware update.
Nikon Z6 & Z7 Firmware 3.20
- Version 3.20 adds support for Blackmagic Design external video recorders (currently the Video Assist 5″ 12G HDR and Video Assist 7″ 12G HDR).
- Users of Apple’s Final Cut Pro X (version 10.4.9 or later) can now adjust ISO sensitivity and display and adjust the color temperature for ProRes RAW footage output to ATOMOS NINJA V external recorders using the fee-for-service RAW video output upgrade.
- Added support for NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.2 S lenses.
Fixed the following issues:
- Rotating the focus or (if Focus (M/A) is assigned to the control ring) control ring would sometimes fail to activate manual focus during burst photography when a NIKKOR Z lens was attached.
- The exposure indicator would not be displayed in mode M when a non-CPU lens was attached via an FTZ mount adapter.
- Certain aperture values would not be selected when control rings for the following lenses were rotated to stop the aperture down in movie mode: NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3, NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 VR, NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR, NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR
- Unexpected aperture values would sometimes be displayed during bracketing in mode M if a bracketing option that made changes to aperture was selected with a NIKKOR Z lens attached.
- Power aperture controls would sometimes stop responding after the standby timer had been on for an extended period in movie mode.
- The RAW video output upgrade is available on a fee-for-service basis. For more information, contact a Nikon-authorized service representative.
Nikon Webcam Utility:
- Added support for macOS Big Sur version 11.
- Added support for Apple Silicon. Note that the Webcam Utility functions as a universal plugin and on Apple Silicon machines runs as an Apple Silicon native app in the universal version of Chrome.
Keep in mind that if you haven’t had the RAW output enabled on your Nikon Z6 or Z7 via the paid service center upgrade, you will need to do that first. This will set you back $199 excluding shipping.
Before filming RAW video, choose an option for HDMI > Advanced > RAW output options > RAW output type in the SETUP MENU based on the type of recorder connected: select Type A for NINJA V recorders and Type B for Video Assist recorders.
To download the latest camera software and webcam utility follow the links below:
- Nikon Z7 firmware update version 3.20
- Nikon Z6 firmware update version 3.20
- Nikon Webcam Utility (Mac) Version 1.0.1
B&H Order Links:
- Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- Nikon Z7 Mirrorless Digital Camera
- Video Assist 5″ 12G HDR
- Video Assist 7″ 12G HDR
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!