Blackmagic Design has announced a new family of studio cameras designed for live production. The Studio Camera 4K Plus and Studio Camera 4K Pro offer professional features in a compact and portable design, well suited for commercial brand production, multicam content creation studios, and vertical markets such as house of worship, entertainment, and corporate training/presentations.
Blackmagic Studio Cameras have the same features as large studio cameras, miniaturized into a single compact and portable design. Plus with digital film camera dynamic range and color science, the cameras can handle extremely difficult lighting conditions while producing cinematic looking images.
The Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus features gain from -12dB (100 ISO) up to +36dB (25,600 ISO) so it’s optimized to reduce grain and noise in images, while maintaining the full dynamic range of the sensor. The gain can be set from the camera, or remotely from a switcher using the SDI or Ethernet remote camera control.
The amazing 4K sensor combined with Blackmagic generation 5 color science gives customers the same imaging technology used in digital film cameras. The color corrector can even be controlled from the switcher.
With 13 stops of dynamic range, the camera has darker blacks and brighter whites, perfect for color correction. The sensor features a resolution of 4096 x 2160 which is great for both HD and Ultra HD work. Plus, all models support from 23.98 fps up to 60 fps. Furthermore, with the popular MFT lens mount, Blackmagic Studio Cameras are compatible with a wide range of affordable photographic lenses.
Unlike other rivals, the Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro has SDI connections that include talkback so the switcher operator can communicate with cameras during live events.
Blackmagic Studio cameras have a decent amount of connections for tethering to both consumer and broadcast equipment. All models feature HDMI with tally, camera control and record trigger, so are perfect for ATEM Mini switchers.
There are also headphone and mic connections, and 2 USB-C expansion ports. The advanced Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro model is designed for broadcast workflows so has 12G-SDI, 10GBASE-T Ethernet, talkback and balanced XLR audio inputs.
The 10G Ethernet allows all video, tally, talkback and camera power via a single connection, so setup is much faster. That’s just like an SMPTE fiber workflow, but using standard Category 6A copper Ethernet cable so it’s much lower cost.
The Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro model supports connecting cameras via a single Ethernet cable. It has 10G Ethernet as an alternative to SMPTE fiber so it’s much lower cost. The Ethernet includes all camera video, program return feeds, tally, talkback, camera control and also power. The Blackmagic Studio Camera also features a high-speed USB-C expansion port that allows customers to record to external disks or connect to a wide range of accessories.
Beyond that, the Pro model includes the best audio ever designed into a studio camera. The professional 2-channel balanced XLR inputs support +24 dBu line level and have an ultra low noise microphone preamplifier with P48 phantom power alongside an equivalent input noise (E.I.N.) of -131 dBV(A).
All Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K models include a tripod mount with a machined metal design and quick mounting plate. They also have lots of different power options.
All units sport a common 12V DC locking power connector so the cable won’t be accidentally pulled out. However, if users are using a single Ethernet cable to connect to the Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Pro model, then the whole camera and its accessories can be powered from the Ethernet connection.
Blackmagic Studio Cameras Highlights
- Designed specifically for live production.
- Carbon fiber reinforced polycarbonate chassis.
- Up to 25,600 ISO for incredible low light performance.
- Native 4K sensor with 13 stops of dynamic range.
- Compatible with a wide range of popular MFT lenses.
- Large 7 inch high brightness viewfinder.
- Includes 12G-SDI, HDMI, 10G Ethernet connections.
- Single 10G Ethernet allows SMPTE fiber style workflow.
- USB-C port allows recording directly to external disks.
- Features incredible quality Blackmagic RAW recording.
- Built in stereo microphones with wide separation.
- Professional mini XLR inputs with 48 volt phantom power.
- Includes tripod mount for quick location setup.
- Powers by 12V or Ethernet connection.
- Optional focus and zoom demands for lens control.
- Blackmagic Studio Converter allows all connections via Ethernet.
Blackmagic Studio Cameras are available now starting from $1,295 at Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.
The company is also expanding its Web Presenter range, adding a 4K model to deliver upgraded UltraHD, H.264 encoding for high-quality live streaming. Blackmagic Web Presenter 4K is retailing for $695.
Last but not least, the Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio family of disk recorders now features an updated design and offers support for more media types. There are four new models all recording up to H.264, Apple ProRes, DNxHD with PCM and AAC audio:
- The 3G-SDI HD Mini records and plays to SD, UHS-II cards or external USB disks up to 1080p60
- The larger HD Plus adds updated transport controls, front panel headphone and speaker and SDI monitoring
- The full rack HD Pro offers SD and SSD slots for additional versatility, as well as a search dial with clutch
- The 4K Pro model records H.264, H.265, ProRes or DNx in SD, HD and Ultra HD in standards up to 2160p60
[source: Blackmagic Design]
HOLIDAY SALE! Get the ULTIMATE DAVINCI RESOLVE COURSE BUNDLE with 85% OFF! Limited Time Offer!