Tamron has announced the development of a new 50-400mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD (Model A067) Ultra Telephoto Zoom which the company says is a game changer for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras. The lens offers an 8x zoom ratio with a wider angle than the wide end over similar 100-400mm zooms.
With such a broad focal length, Tamron says that the Model A067 is remarkably compact, with an overall length of 7.2 inches, and weighing in at 1153g (2.54 lbs), making it very lightweight. There is no detail on the arrangement of lens elements within the lens, however, Tamron says that it achieves high image quality through fluorine-coated “special lens elements” aligned within.
With up to one-half life-size magnification during close focus, the A067 promises half macro close-up ranges at a magnification ratio of 1:2, with a minimum object distance of 9.8 inches at 50mm. The lens has both Fast Hybrid AutoFocus and Eye AutoFocus, as part of its autofocus operation.
The lens has a 67mm filter size, like other Tamron mirrorless lenses. Moreover, the lens has several user-friendly features including a Zoom Lock switch, a focus limiter function through Tamron’s Lens Utility Program, a VC mode switch, a custom switch for programmed shooting modes (with three settings), and rapid zooming courtesy of a 75-degree rotation arc.
Here’s a complete list of the Lens’ features:
- An expansive 8x zoom ratio starts at 50mm and extends to 400mm ultra-telephoto with a single lens
- Unfaltering high image quality across the entire zoom range
- VXD produces high-speed and high-precision AF
- Hybrid AutoFocus
- Eye AF
- Equipped with TAMRON’s proprietary VC image stabilization
- Super-compact with a length of only 7.2” and a weight of 40.7oz
- Half-macro photography with a magnification ratio of 1:2 at the 50mm setting
- New design with improved texture and scratch resistance
- Ø67mm filter size, same as most other TAMRON lenses for mirrorless cameras
- User-friendly features (Moisture-Resistant Construction, Fluorine Coating, Zoom Lock switch, etc.)
- Compatibility with many camera-specific features and functions, including Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF
- Enhanced operational and versatile features
- Connector Port for the TAMRON Lens Utility
- New “Focus Limiter” function added to the TAMRON Lens Utility
- Rapid zooming (Zoom ring rotation arc is just 75°)
- Optional tripod mount (Arca-Swiss compatible)
Tamron details the focusing arrangement with Tamron’s Voice-coil eXtreme torque drive linear motor focus mechanism, which the company says should ensure quiet and responsive operation. The lens also relies on Tamron’s proprietary Vibration Compensation image stabilization architecture for versatile I.S. in all situations.
There’s no word on the retail price for the Model A067 50-400mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD Zoom, but Tamron states that the lens is expected to ship by the Fall of 2022, with the caveat that the supply chain issues due to the ongoing global health crisis could delay that window.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!