With the Osmo Action 3, DJI Goes Head to Head with GoPro

Today, action camera geeks found themselves in the middle of a war. That’s because both DJI and GoPro have announced the next generation of their action camera lines, on the same day.

And DJI seems unphased to introduce their new Osmo Action 3 with longer battery life, even in the most extreme conditions, and a laundry list of features including a built-in mounting system, voice control, custom modes, and the InvisiStick function that makes a selfie stick disappear.

Image Credit – DJI

The DJI Osmo Action 3 has a 1/1.7 inch image sensor that shoots 4K video at up to 120 frames per second and has a lens that offers a 155° super wide field of view.

The camera also uses D-Cinelike color in standard, slow-motion, and even time-lapse modes to grab the most dynamic range and accurate color in an action camera.

The camera also has the third incarnation of DJI’s RockSteady image stabilization which the company says effectively eliminates camera shake in all directions. RockSteady also functions at 4K/120p.

Meanwhile, Horizon Steady can compensate to keep the horizon correct and stable at any angle, even through 360° rotations without any additional post-production. Lastly, Horizon Balancing corrects the horizontal tile within ±45°.

Image Credit – DJI

DJI has also redesigned the camera to incorporate an efficient heat management system, which enables the camera to record at 4K/60p until the battery simply runs out. There’s no camera shutdown to guard against overheating.

Speaking of battery life, the Osmo Action 3 comes with a 1770 mAh Extreme Battery, which manages a battery life of up to 160 minutes, even at temperatures as low as -20° C (-4° F). But what is even more impressive than its cold weather capability, is the fast charging time.

Image Credit – DJI

The DJI Osmo Action 3 is capable of achieving up to an 80% charge in as little as 18 minutes, while the remaining 20% will extend that charging time to 50 minutes.

DJI states that the OSMO Action 3 is the first action camera to offer fast charging without the need for any additional equipment. All one needs is the camera and the Action 3 Extreme Battery, which comes with the camera by default.

The Action 3 is waterproof at depths of up to 16 meters (52 feet) without needing any additional housing.

Image Credit – DJI

In addition, the camera’s built-in mounting system enables not only the traditionally immersive aspect ratio that most thrill seekers want, but also a vertical option thanks to the optional Horizontal-Vertical protective frame for re-orienting the camera to capture a social media style look.

Additional features include:

  • Dual LCD touch screens to access settings from any angle.
  • Three microphone stereo recording that reduces wind noise and boosts audio quality
  • WiFi Livestream support at up to 1080p/30fps.
  • UAC/UVC webcam support for conference calls and live streams
  • Quick Switching Between Five Custom Modes gives access to user-created camera modes at the touch of a button.
  • Voice Control recognizes voice commands when hands are busy.1
  • DJI Mic Compatibility via the Type-C port, and external mics via a 3.5mm to Type-C cable.

Moreover, the Osmo Action 3 can wirelessly connect via WiFi or Bluetooth to the DJI Mimo app for additional functions including live camera feeds in-app editing, and story templates.

A second app known as LightCut is optimized to make the most of the video files captured by the Osmo Action 3, and can automatically create a highlight video of the day’s events, matching them with custom templates to create a professional-looking reel, ready to share.

Image Credit – DJI

The retail price of the Osmo action 3 is $329 and includes the camera, one Extreme Action Battery, the Osmo Action 3 Horizontal-Vertical Protective Frame, the Osmo Action 3 Quick-Release Adapter Mount, and the Osmo Flat Adhesive Base.

There’s also the Osmo Action 3 Adventure Combo which retails for $439 and includes two additional Extreme batteries, a second Quick-Release Adapter Mount, and the Osmo Action 3 Multifunctional Battery Case. Additional Extreme Batteries are $29.

The camera is available now from DJI direct and authorized retailers.

[source: DJI]

Order Links:

  • DJI Osmo Action 3 (B&H)
  • DJI Osmo Action 3 Adventure Combo (B&H)
  • DJI Osmo Action 3 Extreme (B&H)

Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.

Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!