ProGrade has finally announced its next generation of 1TB Type B 2.0 Gold CFExpress cards. The media cards were leaked last fall in an untimely listing at B&H, and three months later, they are finally here.
Specs of the 1TB Type B CFE 2.0 media card are as you would expect, with read speeds of up to 1700 MB/s, and burst write speeds a tad slower at 1500 MB/s.
Realistically, however, the sustained write speed, which is really what matters when dealing with large 8K video files, is 1300 MB/s.
“All new 3rd generation CFexpress Gold cards now clearly state the sustained write speed on the front label,” said ProGrade CEO Wes Brewer. “This additional messaging clearly states the real-world capability of our cards – especially critical for high-performance video capture applications.”
The sustained write speed is so important, that ProGrade decided to print it on the media cards instead of the higher burst write speed. Brewer adds that in spite of the slightly lower steady write speed, the media card offers “dramatically improved performance needed for a very broad range of video capture needs.”
Additional specs of the new CFExpress design include:
- Fully compliant with CompactFlash™ Association 2.0 specification
- NVMe host interface with PCIe Gen3 X2 interconnect
- Extended battery life and low standby power through NVMe PS0 – PS4 support
- Metal enclosure for improved durability and heat dissipation
- Thermal throttling protects the card from overheating
- Laser-etched unique serial numbering for the tracking of key components and manufacturing data for the highest quality control
- Temperature ranges: operating 14°F to 158°F/ -10°C to 70°C; storage -4°F to 185°F/ -20°C to 85°C
- Packaging: Biodegradable fiber tray
- Refresh Pro ready*
- X-ray-proof and shock-proof
- 3-year warranty
ProGrade also announced a smaller, 512GB Gold Type B CFE card with the same read/burst write speeds and specs, but the sustained write speed is markedly slower at 800 MB/s. That’s nearly half as fast as the 1TB model, but still capable of handling 4K video recording.
Unfortunately, however, ProGrade stopped short of announcing the 2TB Type B c2.0 card which was also pre-listed by B&H last October with the other cards, but that could have been a placeholder listing with which the media card company isn’t ready to release just yet.
The pre-order retail price for the ProGrade 1TB Type B 2.0 Gold CFExpress card is $399, with no set shipping date available at press time. There is also a two-pack for $719.
Meanwhile, the 512GB Gold Type B CFExpress card has a single card pre-order price of $179.99 and a two-pack price of $323.99. There is a shipping date for the smaller cards of February 2023.
[source: ProGrade Digital]
- ProGrade Digital 1TB CFexpress 2.0 Type B Gold Memory Card (B&H)
- ProGrade Digital 1TB CFexpress 2.0 Type B Gold Memory Card, 2-pack (B&H)
- ProGrade Digital 512GB CFexpress 2.0 Type B Gold Memory Card (B&H)
- ProGrade Digital 512GB CFexpress 2.0 Type B Gold Memory Card, 2-pack (B&H)
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!