Every year around major industry events such as NAB or IBC, there seems to be one camera that turns heads and gets everyone talking about it. A couple of years ago at NAB it was the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, and this year at IBC in Amsterdam, Sony threw their hat into the sub-$10K large sensor camera market with their PXW-FS7 4K camera, capable of shooting 4K XAVC internally up to 60fps, and super-slow motion of up to 180fps in HD.
The FS7 was the hottest rumoured camera before IBC and also probably the worst kept secret in the industry as muddy photos and specs leaked days before the official launch. Here’s also some new 4K footage from new FS7 for those who have missed it.
Key features of the Sony PXW-FS7
- Sony’s Super 35 Exmor CMOS Sensor
- On-board UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) up to 60fps
- 4K DCI (4096 x 2160) with future upgrade in 2015
- Full HD (1920 x 1080) continuous recording up to 180fps
- XAVC Intra & Long GOP
- MPEG HD, 4:2:2, 50 Mbps (HD only)
- Apple ProRes codec (with future upgrade and extension unit, sold separately)
- 4K/2K RAW recording (with extension unit and outboard recorder, sold separately)
- Slow & Quick Motion for over-and under-cranking
- Dual XQD card slots
- 16-bit analog-to-digital converter
- ISO 2000 (native)
- S-Log 3 Cine Gamma Curve
- Die-cast magnesium frame
- Environmentally sealed electronics
- Price around $8,000 / £6,000 (body only)
Impressive specs indeed, and what is even more impressive is that Sony are now giving you a chance to win yourself an FS7 by taking part in their mini-documentary competition. Sony will reward the best mini-doc, chosen by “a panel of well-known content creators” such as Den Lennie, Tom Swindell, Emmanuel Pampuri, Nino Leitner, Pol Turrents and Gabi García with a brand new FS7.
Here are the rules of the Sony FS7 Mini-doc competition:
- Shoot it – Grab any camera and shoot a mini-documentary about anything that inspires you. You’re free to pick absolutely any subject – but make sure your video’s no more than two minutes long.
- Upload it – Upload your mini-doc to YouTube or Vimeo. In the video description write “This is my entry for the Sony Professional competition to win an FS7 camera. Find out more for yourself at this page, so your viewers can enter the competition themselves.” You must include this link for your entry to be valid.
- Enter it – Go to this page and provide us with a link to your video. The competition closes at midnight on 30th November 2014. Just one entry per person please!
You can register to win here. The winner will be announced end of December. Full details and Terms and Conditions of the Competition can be found here.
GET the ULTIMATE DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 COURSE BUNDLE for just $97! Sale Ends July 9th, 11:59pm PT