It seems that the tedious and overwhelming nature of multi-camera live stream recording is about to become a thing of the past. Convergent Design have just announced Apollo, the industry’s 1st portable HD multi-camera recorder/switcher that fits in the palm of your hand. The holy grail for field producers and reality TV-seasoned professionals records from any four HD cameras, providing an immediate quad-split playback accommodating the captured footage from all four cameras into a perfectly synced edit-ready Quicktime file. No more large flypack systems, bulky recorders, monitors and switchers, and a handful of wires on top.
Furthermore, Apollo can be utilized as a secondary recorder/monitor. In conjunction with Convergent Design’s battery and wireless video receiver bracket, the multi-camera recorder turns into a great handheld director’s monitor. Plus, the unit provides advanced built-in image analysis tools that can be used to match the cameras during setup. Apollo weighs just under 1.2lbs and can be powered via a camcorder battery storing the multi-camera recordings on a single SSD.
Using the new Apollo Media Manager app, recordings can be exported as separate Apple ProRes files or as a single multi-camera QuickTime file that drops directly into the timeline of supporting NLEs such as Premiere Pro or Final Cut X.
Apollo Recorder/Switcher Specifications:
- 7.7” OLED panel for true blacks and accurate colors
- HD video recording, up to four signals simultaneously
- 1080p24 / 1080p30 / 1080i60 / 720p60 (60hz territories)
- 1080p25 / 1080i50/720p50 (50hz territories)
- Apple ProRes HQ/422/LT Recording
- Record four HD signals and one quad-split view
- Record four HD signals and one live switch
- Custom 3D LUT support
- Up to four SDI inputs or three SDI & one HDMI
- Dual SSDs allow long record time or simultaneous backup
- 3.5 hours recording time at highest quality (2TB of 4x HD signals & live switch, 1080p30, Apple ProRes 422(HQ); 8.5 hours in Apple ProRes 422(LT)
- Two 2.5” SSD slots (Convergent Design SSDs or qualified 3rd party models)
- No fans or vents
Additional features in free firmware update (Early 2016)
- Dual 4K/UHD recording (Apple ProRes in 24p, 25p, 30p)
- DNxHD recording
- Record XML file Edit Decision List from Live Switch
- Remote keyboard control pad
- Audio delay
- On-screen source naming
- Cascade interconnect for 12-channel HD / 6-channel 4K recording
- Availability – First quarter of 2016
- Price: $3, 995
Additional functions are planned along with the release of the recorder/switcher, including two-channel 4K/UHD video recording, DNxHD recording, and cascade interconnect between up to three Apollos for up to twelve HD channel or six 4K/UHD channel simultaneous recording.
Convergent Design plans to make these and other additional functions available via a free firmware update sometime early next year. Further, a remote keypad control unit will be also offered along with a rack mount and other accessories. As for the price and availability, it’s expected that Apollo will hit the shelves in the first quarter of 2016 for a retail price of $3,995 with an SSD to USB3 adapter, a 5-pack of SSD mounting handles, and a universal AC power supply included.
If you already own the Odyssey7Q or Odyssey7Q+ you will be able to purchase an Apollo recorder/switcher as an upgrade option for $1,795. The unit is already available for pre-order at B&H.
[via: Redshark News, source: Convergent Design]
B&H Order Link:
Apollo OLED Monitor, Recorder, Switcher
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!