In a surprise move earlier today at ISE 2016 in Amsterdam, AJA announced their latest camera – the UHD box camera called RovoCam. This announcement makes the company’s first foray into compact block cameras designed for industrial, corporate, security, ProAV and broadcast applications. Now, this new camera may be a complete departure from the world of Super 35 cameras and precisely AJA’s first ever camera – the CION, which never really got off to a great start, but nevertheless the RovoCam does have some pretty advanced features for its class, very similar to what the CION had upon announcement back in 2014.
The Rovocam can capture video in UltraHD and HD thanks to a 1/2.3 type 8.9 megapixel back illuminated Sony CMOS sensor and some awesome Sony optics with built-in 12x optical and up to 20x zoom with Sony Super Resolution Zoom.
Another feature setting the RovoCam apart from other cameras in its category is the integrated HDBaseT interface supporting uncompressed video, power, stereo audio and RS-232 control over a single CAT 5e/6 cable running at lengths of up to 100 meters. Delivering this much functionality and power with single cable connectivity dramatically simplifies installation, camera setup and footprint requirements.
AJA RovoCam Features:
- HDBaseT interface supporting uncompressed video, stereo audio, control and power over a single CAT 5e/6 cable
- UltraHD and HD resolutions
- 1/2.3 type 8.9 megapixel back illuminated Sony CMOS sensor
- Integrated zoom lens, 12x optical (20x with Super Resolution Zoom)
- Integrated image processor with extensive automatic and/or manual control
- Additional on-camera power and RS-232 connections for maximum flexibility
- Supports Sony VISCA camera control
- Stereo mic input supporting PiP power
- Machined aluminium case with standard mounting options on each side
- Compatible with Sony’s SNCUNIHB/1 outdoor housing
- HDBaseT receiver supporting video, stereo audio, control and power over a single CAT 5e/6 cable
- UltraHD and HD resolutions
- 1 x “4K” UltraHD/HD HDMI output
- 1 x RCA audio output
- 1 x USB for firmware updates and additional control
- 1 x RS-232 output
While the Rovocam may not be suitable to filmmaking applications, those working in the video security, industrial and AV installation industries may find the new AJA camera an interesting option to look into. The new AJA RovoCam will be available soon for around $2,495 USD through AJA’s authorised reseller worldwide network, while the RovoRX-HDMI at this stage has a US MSRP of $495.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!