It’s finally happening – the most affordable HDR Monitor/4K Raw recorder – the Atomos Shogun Inferno is now shipping worldwide! As I am sure we have plenty of Atomos fans and users amongst our readership, this is certainly great news for so many 4K shooters. The thing that bugs me the most about conventional on-camera monitors is that most of them are Rec.709 based, which when you shoot in a LOG gamma (regardless of camera brand and model), is kind of like shooting with only one eye open as you can only see 5-6 stops of the DR you are capturing, which in most cases is 12+ stops; the problem is with conventional monitors, you just can’t see the full range of details your camera is capturing. The new Atomos Flame series solves that, and the Shogun Flame and Ninja Flame, which have been shipping for a while now, can be spotted on so many productions today.
The new Atomos Shogun Inferno however, despite sharing the same amazing HDR 10bit 7-inch touchscreen as the Flame series, builds upon the 4K raw recording and high speed functionality of the Flame series, by offering top-end performance for those requiring the maximum out of their (raw enabled) cameras.
Shogun Inferno now shipping with the following functionality:
- 4K/60p video recording over HDMI and 12G-SDI in pristine Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHR. Perfect for the ever increasing 4K 60p model list (Sony FS7, F55, AX1 & Panasonic DVX-200, HCX1000, Panasonic UX180)
- Capture HDR Log / Raw as ProRes or DNxHR and use the 10+ stops of the AtomHDR monitor to set perfect exposure using the log from Arri, Canon, Panasonic, Sony, JVC and Red cameras
- The increased processing power of Inferno allows us to add 4K 30p DCI recording over HDMI. A huge feature request from GH4 users, it opens up the camera to cinema applications
- The high resolution 7″ calibrated monitor boasts 1500 nit brightness making it perfect for hood-free outdoor monitoring.
- With FS Raw to ProRes / DNxHR recording up to 4K 60p Sony FS5, FS700 and FS7 users unlock high resolution, high frame rate recording
- With Canon to ProRes / DNxHR recording up to 4K 30p Canon C300MKII and C500 users unlock high resolution 4K recording
Shogun Inferno gives the Atomos treatment to 4K 60p Log/Raw cameras, delivering high frame rate/high resolution recording & high dynamic range/high bright monitoring for under $2,000 USD.
“We are selling tomorrow’s 4K 60p HDR technology, today – future-proofing productions at price points that every filmmaker can afford”, said Jeromy Young, CEO and Co-founder of Atomos, “We can’t wait to see the wave of creativity that results from the arsenal of technology we’ve assembled in the Inferno”.
This initial release will be updated 4-5 weeks later with free firmware to add high frame rate recording for Sony FS5, Sony FS700, FS7 cameras. These users will already be able to record Raw to ProRes/DNxHR up to 4K 60p in the initial firmware but will additionally add HD/2K 100/120/200/240p recording capability.
Following this update, we will continue to release OS updates every 4-5 weeks to add in the remaining features including those announced at IBC scheduled for Q4 2016. In order of priority these will be:
- Raw recording for Sony FS series, Canon, ARRI & Panasonic LT
- HLG in/out to broaden compatibility with playback on HDR screens and as a HDR input for mobile grading
- QuadLink SDI for connection with cameras that have multiple 1.5/3G or single 6/12G without the need for converters
- Scheduled playlist to schedule play-out for live events, in-store demonstration etc.
Atomos Shogun Inferno – $1,995 (B&H; Adorama)