Just days after announcing that their premiere 4K Raw recorder/monitor Odyssey7Q+ is getting a solid $300 price reduction down to $1,495, Convergent Design just released details of the newest firmware update v2017.06 for Odyssey7Q/7Q+ and Apollo owners which gives them the Titan HD Extract features as a FREE upgrade (this used to cost $795). The Odyssey RAW Bundle also now supports Panasonic Varicam LT RAW at up to 2K/240fps, and Convergent D have also added Avid DNxHD recording to both Odyssey and Apollo in addition to numerous bug fixes and other improvements.
“This is our 17th major firmware update to our family of Odyssey and Apollo recorder/monitor products. Over the past few years, we have added significant new features and capabilities, including comprehensive monitor tools, 3D LUTs, multi-channel recording options, ProRes 4444, and greatly expanded the RAW support. Avid DNxHD support rounds out the feature set and continues to position the Odyssey and Apollo as the premiere on-camera monitor/recorder products in our industry”, noted Mike Schell, President of Convergent Design.
VariCam LT RAW Support up to 2K/240fps
Convergent’s engineers worked closely with Panasonic to enable RAW recording at up to 2K/240fps (as well as 4K/60fps) from the awesome Panasonic VariCam LT on the Odyssey7Q and Odyssey7Q+. If you already own the Odyssey RAW Bundle, then all you have to do is just update your device to firmware v2017.06.
If you haven’t purchased the Odyssey RAW Bundle yet then visit us online at Convergent-Design.com to upgrade. Do note, that the Odyssey Raw Bundle is price at $995 or can be rented for $99 per day.
Avid DNxHD up to 1080p50/60
Through this update, both Apollo and Odyssey get Avid DNxHD support at both 145 and 220 Mbps data-rates for common HD formats (1080i50/60, 720p50/60, and 1080p25/30) as well as 1080p50/60 video.
The compressed video files are recorded in a QuickTime wrapper (.mov extension). Odyssey7Q/7Q+ can record a single stream of DNxHD, while the Apollo (or Odyssey w/ Apollo Option) can record up to 4 independent streams simultaneously.
The addition of DNxHD in particular makes the Apollo a very attractive solution for multi-cam ENG and news magazine shoots. In addition, a new transfer tool (Convergent Design Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD Transfer Tool 3.0” or “CD Transfer 3.0” for short) is now available, that supports both Apple ProRes, or Avid DNxHD recordings, (Note that DNxHD users must use the new version of the transfer tool.)
The Titan HD Extract is now a Free Upgrade for Odyssey & Apollo users and with it you can use one 4K camera to create three HD video signals. One frame is a Supersample of the full image area and two are windows selected from within the original input.
These windows can be panned smoothly through the 4K field and the three angles can be Live-Switched. All four HD signals can be recorded simultaneously in Apple ProRes with matching timecode and filenames.
New Features: Apollo & Apollo Option (Odyssey7Q+/7Q)
Quad-HD: Avid DNxHD .Mov Support
- Simultaneously record up to four streams of Avid DNxHD 220 or 145Mb.
- 1080p 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60
- 1080i 50, 59.94;
- 720p 50, 59.94, 60
Note: Activation Key required (free) to enable Quad-HD DNxHD .Mov Support.
Quad-HD Quad-Split: Timecode Option
- Option to “deselect” or select a Timecode window which is baked into the Quad-Split recorded image in Quad-HD Apple ProRes, or Avid DNxHD Recordings.
New Features: Odyssey Raw Bundle (Odyssey7Q+/7Q)
Panasonic Varicam LT 2K/HD 240p Support
- Record RAW in CinemaDNG from the Panasonic Varicam LT
- Variframe Supported from 2->240 fps
- HD LT RAW -> HD CinemaDNG 23.98, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94, 100, 120, 200, 240
- 2K LT RAW -> 2K CinemaDNG 23.98, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94, 100, 120, 200, 240
New for Odyssey ( Odyssey7Q+/7Q/)
HD DNxHD .Mov Support
- Single Channel Recording to Avid DNxHD 4:2:2 at 220 or 145 Mb.
- 1080p 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94, 60
- 1080i 50, 59.94; 720p 50, 59.94, 60
- 720p 50, 59.94
Note: Activation Key required (free) to enable HD DNxHD .Mov Support.
New Features – All Models (Apollo, Odyssey7Q+/7Q/7)
8-Channel Audio / 2-Channel Audio Selection
- Selection is now available for Embedded Audio to be either 8-Channel or 2-Channel in various record modes including:
- HD/2K Apple ProRes
- HD Avid DNxHD
- 4K/UHD Apple ProRes
- Quad HD Apple ProRes
- Quad HD Avid DNxHD
Note: 8-channel audio not available in RAW, RAW->Apple ProRes, DPX, or Apple ProRes 4444 modes
Fixes & Improvements
- FIXED 2:3 Pulldown Support
- FIXED Audio issue found with QT files and Telestream
- IMPROVED Source Naming added to XML file
Odyssey RAW Bundle
- FIXED Rare Canon RAW -> Apple ProRes frame issue
- FIXED Rare CanonRAW -> Random Touches
- FIXED Rare ARRIRAW -> Random Touches
- FIXED Sony 4k 100/120 fps burst -> HD/2K Apple ProRes half length recording
- IMPROVED Playback Scrubbing artifacts of RAW recordings
- FIXED Apple ProRes Playback Scrubbing artifact in lower right corner.
- FIXED Issues associated with Computer Generated Images
- FIXED occasional black playback in Apple ProRes
- FIXED corruption issue when new generation Samsung 850 EVO drive
- IMPROVED Voltage Display Accuracy.
- IMPROVED Dual 6G SDI Support.
- IMPROVED Playback Quality with all Apple ProRes recordings
- IMPROVED Detection of 4K 50/60p signals.
- RESTORE DEFAULTS: Is now automatically performed on power-up immediately after a firmware update (a dialog alerts user when this happens). Please note settings before updating, and adjust settings as needed after updating.
To download firmware v2017.06 head over to Convergent Design here.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!