Panasonic release details for major upcoming firmware update 2.0, which will enable 5.7K Raw and add new codec options to the popular compact cinema camera. Following the recent firmware update v1.12 (you can read all details about it here), I speculated that a new firmware with high resolution Raw support was imminent, and earlier today Panasonic confirmed that firmware update 2.0 will be released towards the end of March and will enable major new features in the popular camera.
The new major features in firmware ver. 2.0 for the Panasonic EVA1 are of course the 5.7K Raw functionality up to 30p using the full S35 sensor via the 6G-SDI output. New Raw frame rates include 4K/60p and 2K/240p however, users need to note that this frame rates and resolutions use a sensor crop, which is around the Four Thirds sensor size, meaning your FOV will change.
It is still not yet clear however, how this 5.7K Raw will be recorded – although Atomos have mentioned in the past that they are working with Panasonic on Raw support for the EVA1, so I won’t be surprised if they come out with a new firmware supporting such Raw resolution soon.
Panasonic EVA1 Firmware 2.0 Details:
Raw data output via 6G-SDI:
- 5.7K Raw up to 30p (S35)
- 4K Raw up to 60p (Four Thirds Crop)
- 2K Raw up to 240fps (Four Thirds Crop)
New ALL-I intra-frame codecs:
- 4K 10bit 4:2:2 400Mbps – 29.97p/25p/24p/23.98p
- UHD 10bit 4:2:2 400Mbps – 29.97p/25p/23.98p
- 2K/Full HD 10bit 4:2:2 200Mbps – 59.94p/50p
- 2K 10bit 4:2:2 100Mbps – 29.97p/25p/24p/23.98p
- 1080p 10bit 4:2:2 100Mbps – 29.97p/25p/23.98p
4K/UHD VFR 400MBPS 10bit 4:2:2 1-30fps
2K/FHD VFR 200MBPS 10bit 4:2:2 1-120fps
Interlaced Recording Format
- 1920 x 1080 – ALL-Intra 100Mbps 10bit 4:2:2 @59.94i/50i
- 1920 x 1080 – LongGOP 50Mbps 10bit 4:2:2 @59.94i/50i
Interval Recording Timelapse in LongGOP and ALL-I
Remote Operation Support
- Popular 3rd Party Wired Controllers
- Focus, Iris, Rec, User Switch and Menu
- Zoom Control for Canon Compact Cine Servo Zooms:
Additional Sigma ART Lenses Supported:
- 12-24 F4 DG HSM
- 24-70 F2.8 DG OS HSM
- 14mm F1.8 DG HSM
- 30mm F1.4 DC HSM
- 85mm F1.4 DG HSM
- 135mm F1.8 DG HSM
Firmware update 2.0 for the Panasonic EVA1 will be released sometime in the second half of March and will be a free download.