Blackmagic Design have released the latest firmware update for their camera line. Camera Update 5.0.1 adds Level A 3G-SDI support to the latest URSA Broadcast camera along with improved interlaced recording when using the Avid DNxHD 145 and 220x. As a reminder, the previous firmware update 5.0 (also known as Camera Update 5.0 in Blackmagic Design speak) added support for the new Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter and the Studio Fiber Converter.
Announced just a few weeks back in the beginning of February, the new URSA Broadcast is a Blackmagic Design’s vision for what a modern broadcast camera designed for ENG as well as a professional studio camera should be.
Carrying over much of the body design of the URSA Mini Pro over to the ENG world, the new URSA Broadcast records onto SD UHS-II cards + CFast cards and captures 1080i or UHD video while using 10bit broadcast quality DNxHD 220X, DNxHD 145 or ProRes codecs as well as lossless 12‑bit CinemaDNG Raw formats.
The URSA Broadcast comes equipped with a 2/3″ sensor (13.056mm x 7.344mm) and ships with a B4 mount for ENG-style lenses. Optional EF, F and PL lens mounts are also available. To learn more about the URSA Broadcast best to see Blackmagic Design’s launch presentation below.
(skip to 24min mark for the URSA Broadcast or watch the whole thing for other Live production gear from BMD)
New Features for URSA Broadcast
- Added Level A support for 3G SDI from Front and Main SDI
- Improved interlaced recording for DNxHD 220X and 145
- Fixed bug where only 3 custom LUT’s could be loaded
- Fixed issue preventing driver from loading on Windows 10
No new features in 5.0.1 for other Blackmagic cameras or Blackmagic Camera & Studio Fiber converters.
Minimum system requirements for macOS
- macOS High Sierra 10.13 or better
- macOS Sierra 10.12 or better
- A suitable USB 2.0 port
- Thunderbolt port for UltraScope and Media Express when using Blackmagic Cinema Camera or Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
Minimum system requirements for Windows
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
- A suitable USB 2.0 port
- A suitable Thunderbolt port when using Blackmagic Cinema Camera or Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
You can download both Camera Update 5.0 and the latest Camera Update 5.0.1 from Blackmagic Design’s support page here.
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate partner and participant in B&H and Adorama Affiliate programmes, we earn a small comission from each purchase made through the affiliate links listed above at no additional cost to you.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!