Holdan UK had a busy stand at BSC Expo 2019 this past week. They had a decent selection of SmallHD, Panasonic, and Teradek products; they even had a Lumix S1 full-frame mirrorless camera, which was getting a lot of eyeballs. What got my attention though, was the Syrp Genie II 3-Axis and Magic Carpet Pro slider, demonstrated with a Blackmagic Pocket 4K rig and a SmallHD Focus monitor.
Many of you are either familiar or have used Syrp sliders and heads for timelapse prior and the company have recently expanded into more video oriented territory namely with the Genie II Linear and Pan & Tilt 3-axis motion control head paired with the Magic Carpet PRO slider capable of delivering some super clean, smooth and easy shots designed to give you that bump in production quality.
The SYRP Magic Carpet Pro is a pro slider built to withstand the demands of professional filmmaking, and as such can accomodate heavier camera payloads.
The slider can hold up to 32kg/70lbs, while keeping the setup easy to rig and operate thanks to its tool-less set up keeping in line with the Magic Carpet with the added benefits of an integrated Flywheel, a patent-pending Quick Release System and the ability to connect multiple tracks together for longer tracking movements.
The Magic Carpet Pro has been designed out of reinforced aluminium and is available in a 2 feet (60cm) and 3 feet (90cm) length version, as well as a combo, although you can technically extend it much further thanks to the tool-less latch design and precision-machined Track Joiners. The tracks are designed to connect in any configuration making it easy to upgrade the length of your slider.
The Magic Carpet Pro Quick Release System is specifically designed to keep everything secure while keeping you mobile. Simply attach the QR Plate to your tripod head and click in to shoot, and out when you need to move.
Envisioned as portable camera motion control that you can put in your backpack, the SYRP Genie II Pan & Tilt offers quite an extensive range of motion to filmmakers. You can use on a tripod for precise Pan and Tilt camera control or combine with the Syrp Genie II Linear for 3-Axis motion control.
The new Genie II is stronger, faster and quieter than its predecessor and using the latest technology in high-speed wireless communication and motor control, the Genie II offers an unparalleled motion control system, controlled via a re-designed iOS/Android app. Combining Genie II Pan Tilt with the Linear gives you an effective and compact 3-Axis motion control tool.
SYRP Genie II Pan & Tilt Features
- Full Key-framed Motion
- Each axis can be set up and controlled independently for complex video and time-lapse movement
- Automated Bulb Ramping & Timelapse Compiler (available in firmware update)
- Live Movement Control (available in firmware update)
- Genie II offers live movement control on both Linear and Pan Tilt with easy-to-use joysticks
- Be in control of your speed and change direction of 1, 2 and 3 axis shots at any time
- Full Wireless Camera Control Live View (available in firmware update)
- Control ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed settings from the app
- Multi-row Panorama
- Setup multi-row Panorama shots directly from the app using the Pan Tilt Drive and create high-resolution images with the tap of a button
- Lightning Fast Quick Release System
- Simply attach the Quick Release plate (Patent Pending) to your Tripod Head and snap directly into the Linear drive for a secure attachment
- Genie II Pan Tilt has also been designed to click straight into the Linear drive making it ultra stable, quick to set up and secure
- Swappable Batteries
- Swap batteries between Genie II devices
- The Genie II Pan Tilt and Linear both use the same removable long-life lithium battery
At BSC Expo 2019, I spoke to my friend Dan Wheeler from Holdan UK, who are the official distributors for SYRP products in the UK, about the latest SYRP sliders and motion control heads for video:
For more info, UK pricing and full specs head over to Holdan UK‘s website. For USD pricing check out the B&H affiliate links below.
- Syrp Magic Carpet Pro Medium – $1099 at B&H
- Magic Carpet Pro Short + Medium Kit – $1469 at B&H
- Syrp Genie II Pan Track Kit – $1586 at B&H
- Syrp Genie II 3-Axis Kit – $2,498 at B&H
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!