Blackmagic Design has just announced that their recently announced Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 camera is now shipping. I know this may be hard to believe and lots of you wish that this was relating to the BMPCC 4K (which is yet to ship in large quantities) but since NAB 2019 officially starts off tomorrow Blackmagic Design may (and we’re hoping they do) also address the back-order issues facing the BMPCC 4K and give us an update.
Nonetheless, this is great news for those of you that have already pre-ordered the URSA Mini Pro G2 or are thinking of picking one up for an upcoming shoot.
As a reminder, the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 was announced earlier in the year, as the next generation URSA Mini Pro with higher frame rates in Blackmagic RAW of 4.6K/120 fps, windowed UHD/150fps and Full HD (windowed) up to 300 fps. The URSA Mini Pro G2 of course also supports ProRes at 120 fps for Ultra HD and 240 fps for 2K and 1080p.
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 Features
- Newly optimized Super 35mm 4.6K sensor, 15 stops of dynamic range
- Blackmagic Design Generation 4 Colour Science.
- Blackmagic RAW Frame rates/Resolutions:
- 4K DCI/150fps
- Blackmagic RAW compressions:
- Constant Bitrate 3:1, 5:1, 8:1 and 12:1 or
- Constant Quality Q0 and Q5
- 4.6K/4K/1080p Apple ProRes:
- ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444,
- ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy
- Interchangeable lens mount – ships with Canon EF
- Optional PL, B4 and F lens mounts available separately.
- Built-in ND Filters – 2, 4 and 6 stops with IR compensation
- Dual x C-Fast 2.0 and dual SD/UHS-II card slots
- High speed USB-C expansion port for recording directly to an external SSD
- Lightweight and durable magnesium alloy body.
- Dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power,
- 12G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate
- Built in high quality stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 4 inch foldout touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings.
- Includes full copy of DaVinci Resolve 15
- Pre-order: $5995 at B&H
Common off-speed frame rate options have been added to the camera’s user interface. You can also embed custom LUTs in Blackmagic RAW clips, use touch-to-focus for EF, PL and B4 lenses with focus servo, change ISO in 1/3 stop increments, and record to external USB-C flash disks with the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2.
Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 also includes Generation 4 Colour Science, HDR LUTs, pixel recalibration in the camera during black shading, audio line level adjustments, the ability to switch media from the heads up display, an improved media formatting interface that makes it harder to accidentally format media, faster auto focus performance, remap options for the HFR button, along with the ability to disable the function and HFR buttons on the outside of the camera.
What’s new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.3
New support for URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2
- Add slow-mo frame rates up to 120 fps in 4.6K Blackmagic RAW.
- Add windowed rates up to 150 fps in Ultra HD Blackmagic RAW.
- Add windowed rates up to 300 frames in HD Blackmagic RAW.
- Add frame rates up to 120 fps in Ultra HD ProRes.
- Add windowed rates up to 240 fps in 2K and HD ProRes.
- Add common off-speed frame rate options above slider.
- Add ability to embed custom LUTs in Blackmagic RAW clips.
- Add touch-to-focus for EF, PL and B4 lenses with focus servo.
- Add ability to change ISO in 1/3 stop increments and ISO slider.
- Add Generation 4 colour science and HDR LUTs.
- Add USB-C Recording to flash disks.
- Add support for pixel recalibration on black shading in camera.
- Add ability to adjust Line level audio.
- Add quick media switching from the heads up display.
- Add ability to remap the HFR button.
- Add ability to disable function and HFR buttons.
- Add LUT icon to Status Text overlays.
- Add ‘PRE icon to Status Text overlays for preset timecode.
- Improved auto focus performance.
- Improved media formatting user interface.
- Added URSA Mini Pro G2 information to URSA Mini Manual.
No new features in Camera Update 6.3 for other camera models.
You can download Camera Update 6.3 from Blackmagic Design here.
Blackmagic Design also announced the guest speakers and the schedule for presentations by a variety of filmmakers, streamers and broadcasters at its booth during the 2019 NAB show. See the full schedule here.
Notable presentations include cinematographer Roy H. Wagner, ASC, who shot his latest feature film, “Stand!” entirely on the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K on Monday 8th April 1:00pm and award-winning filmmaker Jody Eldred presenting on the use of the new URSA Mini Pro G2 on his recent Uganda film project among many others.
The Blackmagic Design NAB 2019 press conference is scheduled for tomorrow, Monday, April 8th at 9:00 AM PDT/5:00pm BST/6:00PM CET.
BlACK FRIDAY SALE - Get 85% OFF the ULTIMATE RESOLVE COURSE BUNDLE! Sale Ends November 30th 10:00pm PT!