Metabones, the popular makers of focal reducers lens adapters, have just introduced a new Canon EF to EOS M Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x to their growing line-up.
The EF-EOS M Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x is the latest member of their award-winning Speed Booster family of DSLR to mirrorless lens mount adapters, which in essence now makes full-frame Canon EF-mount lenses faster by a stop and 0.71x wider on Canon EOS M cameras.
The EOS M mirrorless line-up may be often maligned online due to some sever limitations in the video department, mainly the huge crop in 4K and the lack of more professional features, often found in competitor products in the same class, however the little Canon EOS M50 is now given a new lifeline thanks to the optical gurus at Metabones.
The 4K/UHD video crop on EOS M50 can also be mitigated with third-party APS-C lenses using this Metabones Speed Booster.
It should be noted that some EF-S lenses will not work and that vignetting may occur if using APS-C lenses with Speed Booster for still photography or in Full HD mode (where the camera uses the full sensor).
Metabones EF-EOS M Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x Highlights
- The optical housing is redesigned for perfect fit on EOS M
- Increased max aperture by 1 stop
- Increased MTF / 0.71x wider FOV
- Advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass
- Supports Autofocus
- AF speed is properly adjusted to account for and leverage the shorter focal length and the brighter maximum aperture
- Image stabilization (IS) lens support
- Video Digital IS support (on supported camera bodies)
- The EXIF metadata is changed to reflect the faster aperture and shorter focal length
- The autofocus speed of the lens is adjusted and optimized for the change in focal length and aperture to ensure the best performance
- This is especially important for dual-pixel autofocus (DPAF) in video mode
- A ‘chip’ mode is added so that the user may store the metadata of a fully mechanical manual lens in the adapter
- A LED indicates operational status of the Speed Booster.
- Detachable tripod foot compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins and Photo Clam ball heads
- Rubber gasket protects EF-M mount connection from dust and moisture
- Aluminium alloy and brass construction with chromium plating
The Speed Booster ULTRA design uses an advanced 5-element/4-group optical design by Caldwell Photographic Inc., which incorporates ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass to achieve extraordinary optical performance with improved corner sharpness, distortion and reduced vignetting.
Metabones EF-EOS M Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x is priced at $479 and is available to order now from Metabones and their authorised dealer network.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!