Sony just announced their highly anticipated Sony FE 35mm f1.8 compact prime lens – the latest addition to its E-mount full-frame lens line-up. The new wide-angle lens carries the official model SEL35F18F designation and is set to start shipping sometime in August 2019 at a price of $750 US (B&H link here, pre-orders to commence soon).
There was a time not that long ago when Sony alpha mirrorless users didn’t have many native options, but Sony have been ramping up and expanding their lens lineup given the high demand for their compact full-frame mirrorless cameras such as the Sony A7 III, which is a champ of a camera and a favourite among indie content creators.
The new FE 35mm f1.8 offers full-frame coverage, but still retains a compact stance and lightweight frame (at just 280 grams) giving users more freedom to move quickly and not even notice the lens. This new full-frame Sony FE lens may not be optically stabilised, but given how good the latest generation Sony Alpha cameras are, it wouldn’t be such a detriment, given that the cameras can now compensate more than ever before.
The Sony FE 35mm f1.8 also boasts corner-to-corner sharpness combined with a quiet autofocus and a helluva tracking performance make it a great choice for both stills and video. The internal focus design helps to keep form factor constant, while the linear autofocus motor combined with an ergonomic AF/MF switch allows for fine focus adjustments in manual mode, which some video users may prefer.
Additionally, its compact form makes it an ideal choice for those also using APS-C cameras like the Sony a6400, offering a more standard 52.5mm equivalent focal length on APS-C cameras.
Sony FE 35mm f1.8 Features
- Full-frame coverage/Sony E mount
- Large f/1.8 maximum aperture
- Weight: 280 grams
- Dimensions: 65.6 mm (diameter) by 73.0mm (length)
- Advanced optical construction
- Aspherical element that suppresses chromatic aberration
- 9-blade circular aperture for organic bokeh
- Minimum focus distance of 0.22m
- maximum magnification of 0.24x offer easy access to the world of close-up photography
- Quiet AF with excellent tracking for movies as well as stills
- Customizable Focus Hold Button and a focus mode switch:
- for instantaneous switching between auto and manual focus
- Linear Response Manual Focus for fine, responsive manual focus control
- Internal Focus Design
- Dust- and moisture-resistant design
- Price: $750 US at B&H
- Available: August 2019
For full specifications head over to the dedicated lens page at Sony.
First deliveries of the new Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 are scheduled for August 2019 at $750 US and $800 CA and will be available from authorised dealers such as B&H and Adorama.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE 16 - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!