Just days ago Panasonic released the much-awaited Firmware Update 1.2 for the Panasonic S1, unlocking the full potential of the video-oriented 4K full-frame mirrorless camera. You can find the link to where you can download the firmware update towards the bottom of this post, but before that let’s take a look at what is included in the firmware update.
Panasonic S1 firmware update v1.2 unlocks major video functions such as support for the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU2 (rather unfortunately priced at $199), which gives users access to 4K/24p 10bit 4:2:2 and full V-Log for getting the most dynamic range and quality out of the camera’s 24 megapixel full-frame sensor. It is worth to point out that the V-Log here is the EVA1 “full V-Log”, not the Panasonic GH5/GH5S – V-Log L variant. Same V-Log as in the VariCam LT too.
Other notable new features include the addition of 4K/60 and 50p 4:2:2 10bit output via HDMI, V-Log Assist function so you can see a Rec.709 monitoring LUT while recording in V-Log, support for 3rd party LUTs, which you can load onto the camera via SD card, and a Waveform monitor function to help you nail exposure.
Images by Panasonic
Panasonic S1 Firmware Update 1.2 Details:
- Improved performance of the IBIS
- correction performance of the camera Image Stabilizer improved from 5.5 stops to 6.0 stops.
- performance of the Dual I.S.2 improved from 6.0 stops to 6.5 stops.
- Improved AF performance
- [AF-ON: Near Shift] and [AF-ON: Far Shift] functions added.
- [AF-ON: Near Shift] preferably focuses on a subject nearby
- [AF-ON: Far Shift] preferably focuses on a subject far away.
- The tracking performance when using [Tracking] AF mode in video recording has been improved.
- Live view display during auto focusing is now easier to see.
- Support for Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU2:
- An [Activate] function for update key DMW-SFU2 added
- New video recording modes [MOV]
- 4K 60p/50p, 4:2:0 8bit LongGOP, 150Mbps, LPCM
- 4K/30p/25p, 4:2:2 10bit LongGOP, 150Mbps, LPCM
- 4K/24p, 4:2:2 10bit LongGOP, 150Mbps, LPCM
- 1080/60p/50p, 4:2:2 10bit LongGOP, 100Mbps, LPCM
- 1080/30p/25p, 4:2:2 10bit LongGOP, 100Mbps, LPCM
- HDMI Output – 4K/60p/50p 4:2:2 10bit via HDMI output
- V-Log added in Photo Style
- The [V-Log View Assist] function added
- enables viewing the V-Log file with LUT when recording video in V-Log
- [Read LUT File] function will be added,
- allows users to install and apply 3rd party LUTs.
- WFM (Waveform Monitor) display function added
- [Luminance Level] adjustment function that complies with 10-bit.
- [XLR Mic Adaptor Setting] function that enables high-res sound recording
- when using the XLR Microphone Adapter DMW-XLR1
- Improved operational stability
- Operational stability with XQD memory cards improved
Head over to Panasonic’s support page here to download Firmware update 1.2 for the Panasonic S1 mirrorless camera.
Are you currently a Panasonic S1 owner? If you are, and are also based in Europe you may be able to claim your free Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU2 and save yourself €179 if you buy the S1 before end of September.
For full T&Cs, eligible retailers, and more info on how to claim head over to Panasonic here.
I can’t find any information if this offer applies to North America, so best to check with Panasonic USA or your local dealer.
Here is a link to the DMW-SFU2 upgrade license at B&H, where it’s priced at $199.