RED started teasing their latest 4K camera back in September, and not that soon after it was announced it quickly received a bump in the maximum resolution to 4.5K. The most affordable and lightest RED camera system to date targets those shooters, who’ve dreamt about joining the RED Army, but the price of current Dragon EPIC and Scarlet packages might have been out of reach.
The RED Raven features a 4.5K cut out of the Dragon sensor from the EPIC/Scarlet, but is part of the DSCM 2.0 Weapon style bodies, which accommodate for simultaneous REDCODE Raw and ProRes in various resolutions and frame rates. The RED Raven can record Apple ProRes HQ 422 up to 2K/60p internally, which is a phenomenal codec and resolution good enough for pretty much every application out there from high end corporate/commercial work to features.
RED just released CARRION – a short piece shot exclusively on their latest RED Raven 4.5K digital cinema camera. And yes, the footage is sublime! See it below.
“Carrion” unveils footage from the 4.5K RED RAVEN™—RED’s most compact camera to date. Shot completely on a RED RAVEN fitted with the new Zeiss Milvus lenses, “Carrion” showcases the versatility and capture capabilities of the camera through stunning images shot in an array of lighting conditions and frame rates. Boasting the incredible dynamic range and colour science of the RED DRAGON sensor, RED RAVEN empowers shooters to achieve best-in-class image quality without having to compromise.
I think the 4.5K Raven footage looks absolutely fantastic, and despite having a fixed Canon EF mount there are plenty of fine lenses out there such as the new Zeiss Milvus lenses, which Carrion was shot on.
Not just that, you have of course the amazing Canon L-series lenses, and third part EF mount lenses like the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 and the rest of their Art primes like the outstanding Sigma 35mm f1.4, and the 50mm f1.4.
RED Raven 4.5K Features
- 4.5K Max Resolution (4,608 x 2,160)
- Near Super35 Sensor Size at 23.04mm x 10.8mm
- REDCODE RAW 3:1 24fps at max. resolution
- 4.5K/120fps Slow Motion (higher compression
- Fixed Dragon Standard OLPF
- Apple ProRes HQ 10bit 422 at 2K up to 60fps
- Non-removable/Fixed Canon EF Mount
- Recording Frame Rates
- 4.5K (4608 × 2160) up to 120 fps
- 4K (4096 × 2160) up to 120 fps
- 3K (3072 × 1620) up to 160 fps
- 2K (2048 × 1080) up to 240 fps
- ProRes 422 HQ up to 2K (2048 × 1080) and up to 60 fps
- ProRes 422 up to 2K (2048 × 1080) and up to 60 fps
- ProRes 422 LT up to 2K (2048 × 1080) and up to 60 fps
- Monitor outputs – 3G-SDI (HD-SDI) and HDMI with Expander Module
- Recording Media – RED MINI–MAG, 140 MB/s max data rate
- Remote Control – Built-in Wireless
- Weight – ~3.5 lbs (BRAIN with Media Bay and Canon Lens Mount)
The RED Raven is expected to start shipping in March 2016 and packages including the Camera Brain, basic media and I/O add-on unit start at around $10K. Head over to RED.com to learn more and order yours.
Claim your copy of DAVINCI RESOLVE - SIMPLIFIED COURSE with 50% off! Get Instant Access!