DJI just announced their most affordable 4K quadcopter – DJI Phantom 3 4K at the 2016 edition of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Instead of the company’s well known Lightbridge technology, the Phantom 3 4K features Wi-Fi connectivity for up to 3,900+ feet and a built-in, gimbal-stabilized 4K camera with true DCI 4K (4,096 x 2,160) at 24fps and UHD at 30fps. At just $999, the Phantom 3 4K is officially DJI’s most affordable 4K aerial ready-to-fly camera system to date.
The newest model in DJI’s Phantom 3 stable combines the best from previous Phantom models and the most-popular features of more advanced models at a highly competitive price. The Phantom 3 4K has a flight time of approximately 25 minutes and can also take 12MP stills photos.
DJI Phantom 3 4K Highlights
- 24 fps DCI 4K / 30 fps UHD 4K
- JPEG and DNG RAW photos at 12MP
- Wi-Fi Extender with 3900′ Range
- DJI Go App for iOS / Android
- Home and Course Lock Flight Modes
- Follow Me / Waypoint Navigation
- Point of Interest Orbit Mode
- Vision Sensor for Indoor Flight
- Up to 25 Minutes Flying Time
- Mobile Device Holder Included
- Records to microSD card up to 64GB
Video Resolutions and Frame Rates
- 720p (1280 x 720): 24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60 fps
- 1080p (1920 x 1080): 24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60 fps
- UHD 4K (3840 x 2160):24, 25, 30 fps
- DCI 4K (4096 x 2160): 24, 25 fps
94° Wide Angle Lens
- The camera features a 94° angle-of-view lens, which is a narrower angle than a fisheye for less distortion while still being wide enough to enable capturing establishing shots. The lens features an f/2.8 aperture and is comprised of 9 elements, including an aspherical element
- DJI Go App – Use the DJI Go app for iOS and Android to remotely operate the Phantom 3 4K camera and view a live, HD video feed
- Follow Me
- Course Lock
- Home Lock
- Point of Interest (POI)
In addition to the brand new Phantom 3 4K, the Inspire 1 goes all Darth Vader and is Back in Black for the Inspire 1 Pro Black:
In response to popular demand from the professional filmmaker community, DJI introduces a stylistic change in its Inspire line of drones. The Inspire 1 Pro Black comes with a shell, controller, and battery in high-quality matte black. It comes equipped with DJI’s best-in-class Micro Four Thirds camera, the Zenmuse X5. The original Inspire 1 Pro, with a white shell, battery case and controller, will continue to be sold alongside the new model.
The Inspire 1 Pro Black Edition will initially be available to customers in all regions except Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Ireland. It will be available at DJI dealers before launching on the DJI online store.
Both the Phantom 3 4K (which interestingly enough is now listed at $799 at B&H as of the time of writing of this article) and Inspire 1 Pro Black (with the Xenmuse X5 camera) are expected to be available soon within the next couple of weeks. The Inspire 1 Pro Black will retail in the region of $4800.